Re: [XSL-FO] good resolution image background ?

  • Eliot Kimber
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2005
      Romain.Faraut@... wrote:
      > Hi,
      > In XSL-FO I'd like to have a JPG image background and on top of it some
      > Text written. My JPG image is pretty huge so when downsized to the correct

      FO 1 doesn't provide any control for scaling background images, so you
      either need an extension or you have to separately size your image so
      that it is the correct size. I'm not graphics expert, but I think the
      best way to ensure the DPI you want is to set the image size and DPI at
      the same time, rather than relying on scaling by the FO processor.

      To get more control you can use block containers to overlay text and
      graphics. This requires that your FO engine supports
      absolutely-positioned block containers.

      To do this, you use an outer block container to contain two inner
      containers that are both absolutely positioned within the outer container:

      <fo:block-container block-progression-dimension="4in"
      inline-progression-dimension="100%">
      <fo:block-container absolute-position="absolute"
      block-progression-dimension="100%"
      inline-progression-dimension="100%"
      left="0" top="0">
      <!-- graphic goes here -->
      </fo:block-container>
      <fo:block-container absolute-position="absolute"
      block-progression-dimension="100%"
      inline-progression-dimension="100%"
      left="0" top="0">
      <!-- text goes here -->
      </fo:block-container>
      </fo:block-container>

      I don't know if FOP supports this use of block-container. XEP and XSL
      Formatter certainly do.

      Cheers,

      Eliot
      --
      W. Eliot Kimber
      Professional Services

      ekimber@...
      www.innodata-isogen.com
    • Romain.Faraut@lodh.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2005
        Hello,
        thanks a lot for the explanation...
        In fact yet I've been tweeking FOP code just to perform the task the way
        I'd like it to be, and it works :-)

        Cheers, r0main

        "Eliot Kimber"
        Sent by: XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com

        07.12.2005 12:27
        Please respond to
        XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com

        <XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com>
        cc

        Subject

        Romain.Faraut@... wrote:
        > Hi,
        > In XSL-FO I'd like to have a JPG image background and on top of it some
        > Text written. My JPG image is pretty huge so when downsized to the
        correct

        FO 1 doesn't provide any control for scaling background images, so you
        either need an extension or you have to separately size your image so
        that it is the correct size. I'm not graphics expert, but I think the
        best way to ensure the DPI you want is to set the image size and DPI at
        the same time, rather than relying on scaling by the FO processor.

        To get more control you can use block containers to overlay text and
        graphics. This requires that your FO engine supports
        absolutely-positioned block containers.

        To do this, you use an outer block container to contain two inner
        containers that are both absolutely positioned within the outer container:

        <fo:block-container block-progression-dimension="4in"
        inline-progression-dimension="100%">
        <fo:block-container absolute-position="absolute"
        block-progression-dimension="100%"
        inline-progression-dimension="100%"
        left="0" top="0">
        <!-- graphic goes here -->
        </fo:block-container>
        <fo:block-container absolute-position="absolute"
        block-progression-dimension="100%"
        inline-progression-dimension="100%"
        left="0" top="0">
        <!-- text goes here -->
        </fo:block-container>
        </fo:block-container>

        I don't know if FOP supports this use of block-container. XEP and XSL
        Formatter certainly do.

        Cheers,

        Eliot
        --
        W. Eliot Kimber
        Professional Services
        Innodata Isogen
        9390 Research Blvd, #410
        Austin, TX 78759
        (512) 372-8841

        ekimber@...
        www.innodata-isogen.com

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Visit your group "XSL-FO" on the web.

        This message is intended only for use by the person
        to whom it is addressed. It may contain information
        that is privileged and confidential. Its content does
        not constitute a formal commitment by Lombard
        Odier Darier Hentsch Group and any of its affiliates.
        If you are not the intended recipient of this message,
        kindly notify the sender immediately and destroy this
        message. Thank You.