good resolution image background ?

  • Romain.Faraut@lodh.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2005
      In XSL-FO I'd like to have a JPG image background and on top of it some
      Text written. My JPG image is pretty huge so when downsized to the correct
      width/height I get enough DPI to print it correctly.

      I tried :
      ->Cell with a background image and a text block: almost okay, but I can't
      see a way to strech the background image (in order to fit in the cell + to
      have a "printable" resolution) -> Consequence I can only see a portion of
      my background image + I have a crappy background image quality.
      ->Instream-Foreign-Object having an inline SVG embedding the JPG image:
      The image Fits in the good quotes, but Image quality is even worse than
      first solution ! [big "pixels"]

      Can anyone help me on the best way to perform the needed task ?!

      Thanks a lot, Romain

      PS: I'm using FOP 0.20.5 + Batik

      ************************ DISCLAIMER ************************
      This message is intended only for use by the person
      to whom it is addressed. It may contain information
      that is privileged and confidential. Its content does
      not constitute a formal commitment by Lombard
      Odier Darier Hentsch Group and any of its affiliates.
      If you are not the intended recipient of this message,
      kindly notify the sender immediately and destroy this
      message. Thank You.
    • Eliot Kimber
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2005
        Romain.Faraut@... wrote:
        > Hi,
        > In XSL-FO I'd like to have a JPG image background and on top of it some
        > Text written. My JPG image is pretty huge so when downsized to the correct

        FO 1 doesn't provide any control for scaling background images, so you
        either need an extension or you have to separately size your image so
        that it is the correct size. I'm not graphics expert, but I think the
        best way to ensure the DPI you want is to set the image size and DPI at
        the same time, rather than relying on scaling by the FO processor.

        To get more control you can use block containers to overlay text and
        graphics. This requires that your FO engine supports
        absolutely-positioned block containers.

        To do this, you use an outer block container to contain two inner
        containers that are both absolutely positioned within the outer container:

        <fo:block-container block-progression-dimension="4in"
        inline-progression-dimension="100%">
        <fo:block-container absolute-position="absolute"
        block-progression-dimension="100%"
        inline-progression-dimension="100%"
        left="0" top="0">
        <!-- graphic goes here -->
        </fo:block-container>
        <fo:block-container absolute-position="absolute"
        block-progression-dimension="100%"
        inline-progression-dimension="100%"
        left="0" top="0">
        <!-- text goes here -->
        </fo:block-container>
        </fo:block-container>

        I don't know if FOP supports this use of block-container. XEP and XSL
        Formatter certainly do.

        Cheers,

        Eliot
        --
        W. Eliot Kimber
        Professional Services

        ekimber@...
        www.innodata-isogen.com
      • Romain.Faraut@lodh.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 7, 2005
          Hello,
          thanks a lot for the explanation...
          In fact yet I've been tweeking FOP code just to perform the task the way
          I'd like it to be, and it works :-)

          Cheers, r0main

          "Eliot Kimber"
          Sent by: XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com

          07.12.2005 12:27
          Please respond to
          XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com

          <XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com>
          cc

          Subject
          Re: [XSL-FO] good resolution image background ?

          Romain.Faraut@... wrote:
          > Hi,
          > In XSL-FO I'd like to have a JPG image background and on top of it some
          > Text written. My JPG image is pretty huge so when downsized to the
          correct

          FO 1 doesn't provide any control for scaling background images, so you
          either need an extension or you have to separately size your image so
          that it is the correct size. I'm not graphics expert, but I think the
          best way to ensure the DPI you want is to set the image size and DPI at
          the same time, rather than relying on scaling by the FO processor.

          To get more control you can use block containers to overlay text and
          graphics. This requires that your FO engine supports
          absolutely-positioned block containers.

          To do this, you use an outer block container to contain two inner
          containers that are both absolutely positioned within the outer container:

          <fo:block-container block-progression-dimension="4in"
          inline-progression-dimension="100%">
          <fo:block-container absolute-position="absolute"
          block-progression-dimension="100%"
          inline-progression-dimension="100%"
          left="0" top="0">
          <!-- graphic goes here -->
          </fo:block-container>
          <fo:block-container absolute-position="absolute"
          block-progression-dimension="100%"
          inline-progression-dimension="100%"
          left="0" top="0">
          <!-- text goes here -->
          </fo:block-container>
          </fo:block-container>

          I don't know if FOP supports this use of block-container. XEP and XSL
          Formatter certainly do.

          Cheers,

          Eliot
          --