RE: [XSL-FO] $ and Commas - How do we parse these out of data

  • Seaborne, Mark
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 6, 2001
      Sangeetha

      I you just want to replace one character with another you cound try using
      the translate() function. You can also use it simply to remove characters
      with something like:

      <xsl:value-of select="translate(TOTAL, '$', '')"/>

      Be warned though, translate only replaces one character one other character,
      although you can provide a list of characters to be replaced by a list of
      other characters:

      translate($foo, "ABC", "abc")

      would transform the string DCBA into Dcba.

      If you need to replace a string with another string of a different length
      then, as far as I know, you must start using some of the other string
      manipulation functions like substring-before() and substring-after().

      Hope this helps

      Mark Seaborne

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 7, 2001
        To apply formatting to numbers there is the format-number function

        Format:
        format-number(value, format, [name]) => number

        Value is the input
        Format is the format pattern: almost equal to formatting in Java
        fe . 22000.3 using pattern #,##0.00 is translated into 22,000.30
        Name (Optional) of the decimal format, If in your XSL is
        <xsl:decimal-format> which declares the source format for the numbers in
        your document, you should use the same name.

        I Hope this brief explanation helps.

        Raf

      • neuggs@concentric.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 7, 2001
          Sangeetha,

          As a matter of design, having the dollar signs within the XML is less
          than ideal. This is because those numbers (i.e., "TOTAL" and the
          second "LIMIT") are no longer numbers, they're strings. As such,
          format-number won't work. Furthermore, dollar signs are for display
          only and not really part of the "data." That's what something like
          format-number is for. This same kind of problem is evident when
          calculations (you can't do math with a string) come into play.

          That said, I would first try and modify the XML to get rid of the
          dollar signs. If you can, then you're in good shape. Change the XML
          and use format-number.

          If not, and I suspect this is probably the case, then you'll first
          need to use string manipulation to get rid of the dollar sign (that
          should be pretty simple). In other words, get rid of the dollar sign
          (you can keep the commas). Then, use format-number *after* you've
          converted the string (i.e., your numbers with dollar signs) to a
          number.

          Here's an example that does it both ways.

          XML:
          <?xml version='1.0'?>
          <Number>
          <First>10,224.25</First>
          <Second>$25,202.22</Second>
          </Number>

          XSL Stylesheet:
          <?xml version='1.0'?>

          <xsl:stylesheet
          xmlns:xsl='http://www.w3.org/199/XSL/Transform'
          version='1.0'>

          <xsl:template match="Number">
          <!-- Easy way -->
          <xsl:value-of select="format-number(./First, '$##,###.##')"/>

          <!-- Less easy way -->
          <xsl:value-of
          select="format-number(substring-after(./Second,'$'),
          '$##,###.##')"/>
          </xsl:template>
          </xsl:stylesheet>

          The "Easy way" simply takes the "First" element and formats it.
          The "Less easy way" first converts the "Second" element by stripping
          off the dollar sign, then apply the formatting. If you're not 100%
          sure if there will be a dollar sign, then you'll need to check using
          something like "starts-with" in a conditional.

          Hope this helps.

          Regards,
          Frank.