Embedded SVG size limit in Apache FO?

  • Peter Wu
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 18, 2005
      Greetings,

      Has anyone heard of any size limitations with SVG
      embedded as an instream-foreign-object when using
      Apache FO? I have this 250K SVG that doesn't render. I
      don't know why yet. I'm not even sure it's an Apache
      FO issue. I'm using Oracle 10g Application Server and
      calling FO from a servlet installed as an OC4J (Oracle
      Container for Java) application. The servlet just
      dies. No error messages. It works just fine with some
      smaller SVGs around 100K.

      Thanks,
      peter
    • J.Pietschmann
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 18, 2005
        Peter Wu wrote:
        > Has anyone heard of any size limitations with SVG
        > embedded as an instream-foreign-object when using
        > Apache FO? I have this 250K SVG that doesn't render. I
        > don't know why yet. I'm not even sure it's an Apache
        > FO issue. I'm using Oracle 10g Application Server and
        > calling FO from a servlet installed as an OC4J (Oracle
        > Container for Java) application. The servlet just
        > dies. No error messages. It works just fine with some
        > smaller SVGs around 100K.

        The easiest way to proceed is to run the FOP command line
        application on your data and see what happens.

        J.Pietschmann
      • Peter Wu
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 18, 2005
          Greetings,

          Your right. I did and it works on the command line so
          it's unlikely to be an Apache FOP limitation.

          Thanks,
          peter

          --- "J.Pietschmann" <j3322ptm@...> wrote:

          > Peter Wu wrote:
          > > Has anyone heard of any size limitations with SVG
          > > embedded as an instream-foreign-object when using
          > > Apache FO? I have this 250K SVG that doesn't
          > render. I
          > > don't know why yet. I'm not even sure it's an
          > Apache
          > > FO issue. I'm using Oracle 10g Application Server
          > and
          > > calling FO from a servlet installed as an OC4J
          > (Oracle
          > > Container for Java) application. The servlet just
          > > dies. No error messages. It works just fine with
          > some
          > > smaller SVGs around 100K.
          >
          > The easiest way to proceed is to run the FOP command
          > line
          > application on your data and see what happens.
          >
          > J.Pietschmann

        • Prakash R
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 18, 2005
            I have a document (FO-PDF) made up of multiple tables.
            Some of these tables are long and span multiple pages.
            I want to be able to repeat the header on the next
            page. But at the same time I want to add the word
            continued for any subsequent pages. i.e.

            col1 col2 col3
            TABLE HEADER
            -------------------
            jjf jflkds jflkds
            fjs jflsda jklfds
            jjf jflkds jflkds
            fjs jflsda jklfds
            jjf jflkds jflkds
            fjs jflsda jklfds
            --- page break ----
            col1 col2 col3
            TABLE HEADER (CONTD)
            -------------------
            fjs jflsda jklfds
            fjs jflsda jklfds

            col1 col2 col3
            TABLE HEADER2
            -------------------
            fjs jflsda jklfds
            fjs jflsda jklfds
            fjs jflsda jklfds
            --- page break ----
            col1 col2 col3
            TABLE HEADER3
            -------------------
            fjs jflsda jklfds
            fjs jflsda jklfds
            fjs jflsda jklfds

            Is there anything in FO that will allow repeating of
            table header and also modification of table header in
            subsequent pages?

            Thank you.
            Prakash
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 21, 2005
              Prakash R wrote:

              > I have a document (FO-PDF) made up of multiple tables.
              > Some of these tables are long and span multiple pages.
              > I want to be able to repeat the header on the next
              > page. But at the same time I want to add the word
              > continued for any subsequent pages. i.e.

              Adding a table header that's repeated on each page is straight forward
              enough. Just place an fo:table-row element as a child of the
              fo:table-header element. fo:table-header should be placed as a child of
              fo:table prior to fo:table-body.

              Getting a different table header for second and higher pages will be
              harder. In XSL-FO 1.1 table-markers will allow you to do what you want,
              but as far as I know, no one has implemented them yet.

              RenderX has an extension Property for 1.0, rx:table-omit-initial-header.
              You can use this to achieve what you want. Simply set the table header
              row to show continued values, and emulate the header on the first page
              using a regular row inside the table-body.

              <snip/>