Re: [XSL-FO] FOP: Will not process large file

  • jasmine2501@netzero.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005
      I checked out Lunasil, but to be honest, I would like to get away from using java-based stuff altogether. We are a Microsoft shop, with backend mainframes and such. Integrating the COBOL files from the mainframes is enough work for me right now, and the .NET stuff seems to work pretty well. I have done a .NET object in C# which creates the 21MB FO file I spoke of, and it does the database call (9400 rows X about 1K each row), and the transformation, inserting the data into the FO template, in like 3 seconds. What I would really like is a .NET or COM compatible PDF creator, but I have been unable to find one except for Crystal Reports, which sucks. That's why we're using FOP in the first place. It is funky though because I have to do a call out to the FOP servlet which runs in Apache Tomcat. I would like to be able to just create an instance of an object and control it from my C# program, but have not been able to find anything capable of this. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

      Have a groovy day y'all,
      Jasmine
    • Colin Spear
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005
        Hi Jasmine

        I had similar problems like this a few years back....I the only way we
        found to be able to get around it was to allocate more memory to the
        Java VM, placing this line at the end of the fop.bat file:

        java -cp "%LOCALCLASSPATH%" -Xms512m -Xmx1024m org.apache.fop.apps.Fop
        %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8

        Most of the XML's we deal with are just over 1Mb in size, so nowhere
        near your monster, but who knows...it may work.

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 3, 2005
          jasmine2501@... wrote:
          > I checked out Lunasil, but to be honest, I would like to get away from using java-based stuff altogether. We are a Microsoft shop, with backend mainframes and such. Integrating the COBOL files from the mainframes is enough work for me right now, and the .NET stuff seems to work pretty well. I have done a .NET object in C# which creates the 21MB FO file I spoke of, and it does the database call (9400 rows X about 1K each row), and the transformation, inserting the data into the FO template, in like 3 seconds. What I would really like is a .NET or COM compatible PDF creator, but I have been unable to find one except for Crystal Reports, which sucks. That's why we're using FOP in the first place. It is funky though because I have to do a call out to the FOP servlet which runs in Apache Tomcat. I would like to be able to just create an instance of an object and control it from my C# program, but have not been able to find anything capable of this. If anyone has any suggestions

          > would greatly appreciate it.
          >
          > Have a groovy day y'all,
          > Jasmine

          Jasmine,

          Oh dear, getting away from Java! Have you looked at AltSoft's
          (commercial) offering?

          As for processing large files in FOP, check the size of your
          page-sequences. Do you have one large page-sequence? If so, see if
          generating the file as a series of small page-sequences will work. If
          not, I am out of suggestions.

          I'm currently working on a project <http://defoe.sourceforge.net/folio/>
          which will handle large files. When I have something to show, I'll post
          here.

          Peter

          --
          Peter B. West <http://cv.pbw.id.au/>
          Folio <http://defoe.sourceforge.net/folio/>

        • Olivier Collioud
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 3, 2005
            http://www.princexml.com ?

            >>> jasmine2501@... 3/11/05 2:58:12 AM >>>
[...]

            ------
            World Intellectual Property Organization Disclaimer:

            This electronic message may contain privileged, confidential and
            copyright protected information. If you have received this e-mail
            by mistake, please immediately notify the sender and delete this
            e-mail and all its attachments. Please ensure all e-mail attachments
            are scanned for viruses prior to opening or using.
          • Werner Donné
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 3, 2005
              Jasmine,

              XEP from RenderX is also available for .NET.

              Regards,

              Werner.

              --
              Werner Donné -- Re BVBA
              Engelbeekstraat 8
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 3, 2005
                I would recommend to take a look at Altsoft Xml2PDF
                (http://alt-soft.com/products_xml2pdf_download.jsp). Based on my experience
                it is one of the most compliant .NET formatters for XSL-FO.

                Best regards,
                Victor Vishnyakov
                http://xslfo-zone.com/