Re: [XSL-FO] FOP: Will not process large file

  • jasmine2501@netzero.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005
      Yes, I immediately realized the obvious problem with that. We found that my machine actually has 1GB real chips, and I set the JVM to use 500MB. It still doesn't actually use that much (it goes up and down, peaking at about 350MB for the JVM process), and it works ok, but it stalls a lot and takes a super long time. I have let it run overnight, and we'll see what happens. By the time I left the office, it had done 146 pages in about a half hour. It seemed to stall for a long time after that, and if it's not done in the morning, we'll try something else. In my initial java command, I had left out the 'X' so it was ignoring my request for more memory. Crossing my fingers and hoping this will work, and we only have to render this PDF for this client once every 6 months, so it's cool to do it by hand. All the other clients have much smaller PDFs and we generate those upon request, which seems to work fine using the FOP servlet and an HTTP request from my C# program. I have learned a lot of new things on this project and from the folks on this group. Thank you all very much for your helpful suggestions!

      Jasmine

      Peter Wu wrote:
      > try java -Xmx1000m -jar fop.jar -fo "C:\770470789E.fo"
      ^^^^
      Do *not* do this on a machine with 256M physical memory.
      A common strategy is to set heap and stack size on such a
      machine each to 128m or 96m. Watch both the real memory
      teh JVM process is using and the swapping activity. A
      memory profiler may be used for gathering additional hints
      for tweaking the memory settings.
      Using the -server switch may also help.

      J.Pietschmann
    • jasmine2501@netzero.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005
        I checked out Lunasil, but to be honest, I would like to get away from using java-based stuff altogether. We are a Microsoft shop, with backend mainframes and such. Integrating the COBOL files from the mainframes is enough work for me right now, and the .NET stuff seems to work pretty well. I have done a .NET object in C# which creates the 21MB FO file I spoke of, and it does the database call (9400 rows X about 1K each row), and the transformation, inserting the data into the FO template, in like 3 seconds. What I would really like is a .NET or COM compatible PDF creator, but I have been unable to find one except for Crystal Reports, which sucks. That's why we're using FOP in the first place. It is funky though because I have to do a call out to the FOP servlet which runs in Apache Tomcat. I would like to be able to just create an instance of an object and control it from my C# program, but have not been able to find anything capable of this. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

        Have a groovy day y'all,
        Jasmine
      • Colin Spear
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005
          Hi Jasmine

          I had similar problems like this a few years back....I the only way we
          found to be able to get around it was to allocate more memory to the
          Java VM, placing this line at the end of the fop.bat file:

          java -cp "%LOCALCLASSPATH%" -Xms512m -Xmx1024m org.apache.fop.apps.Fop
          %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8

          Most of the XML's we deal with are just over 1Mb in size, so nowhere
          near your monster, but who knows...it may work.

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 3, 2005
            jasmine2501@... wrote:
            > I checked out Lunasil, but to be honest, I would like to get away from using java-based stuff altogether. We are a Microsoft shop, with backend mainframes and such. Integrating the COBOL files from the mainframes is enough work for me right now, and the .NET stuff seems to work pretty well. I have done a .NET object in C# which creates the 21MB FO file I spoke of, and it does the database call (9400 rows X about 1K each row), and the transformation, inserting the data into the FO template, in like 3 seconds. What I would really like is a .NET or COM compatible PDF creator, but I have been unable to find one except for Crystal Reports, which sucks. That's why we're using FOP in the first place. It is funky though because I have to do a call out to the FOP servlet which runs in Apache Tomcat. I would like to be able to just create an instance of an object and control it from my C# program, but have not been able to find anything capable of this. If anyone has any suggestions

            > would greatly appreciate it.
            >
            > Have a groovy day y'all,
            > Jasmine

            Jasmine,

            Oh dear, getting away from Java! Have you looked at AltSoft's
            (commercial) offering?

            As for processing large files in FOP, check the size of your
            page-sequences. Do you have one large page-sequence? If so, see if
            generating the file as a series of small page-sequences will work. If
            not, I am out of suggestions.

            I'm currently working on a project <http://defoe.sourceforge.net/folio/>
            which will handle large files. When I have something to show, I'll post
            here.

            Peter

            --
            Peter B. West <http://cv.pbw.id.au/>
            Folio <http://defoe.sourceforge.net/folio/>

          • Olivier Collioud
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 3, 2005
              http://www.princexml.com ?

              >>> jasmine2501@... 3/11/05 2:58:12 AM >>>
[...]

              ------
              World Intellectual Property Organization Disclaimer:

              This electronic message may contain privileged, confidential and
              copyright protected information. If you have received this e-mail
              by mistake, please immediately notify the sender and delete this
              e-mail and all its attachments. Please ensure all e-mail attachments
              are scanned for viruses prior to opening or using.
            • Werner Donné
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 3, 2005
                Jasmine,

                XEP from RenderX is also available for .NET.

                Regards,

                Werner.

                --
                Werner Donné -- Re BVBA
                Engelbeekstraat 8
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 3, 2005
                  I would recommend to take a look at Altsoft Xml2PDF
                  (http://alt-soft.com/products_xml2pdf_download.jsp). Based on my experience
                  it is one of the most compliant .NET formatters for XSL-FO.

                  Best regards,
                  Victor Vishnyakov
                  http://xslfo-zone.com/