block and text too long

  • Marco
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 13, 2005

      I have 3 block-container for each page A4 and when the text needs more
      space that the amount specified by the block container which contains
      the block (overflow) I want the text in excess to be printed in the
      new following block.
      Is there a way to do this using fop 0.20.5?
      I have tried with the table, but you can only be specified the minimun
      height of the row, that therefore various with the text.

      It seems like I can achieve this by using overflow and clip attributes
      for the block
      container. I found that overflow has not been implemented.
      Anyone have a solution?
    • W. Eliot Kimber
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 13, 2005
        --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "Marco" <marcpat@k...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I have 3 block-container for each page A4 and when the text needs more
        > space that the amount specified by the block container which contains
        > the block (overflow) I want the text in excess to be printed in the
        > new following block.
        > Is there a way to do this using fop 0.20.5?
        > I have tried with the table, but you can only be specified the minimun
        > height of the row, that therefore various with the text.

        There's no good way to do this in FO 1.0 as far as I know. If only one
        of your block containers is likely to overflow you can just make it
        the region-body and put the other content either in edge regions
        (presumably using markers) or in absolutely-positioned block
        containers). But if any of the block containers might overflow then
        you're pretty well stuck as far as I can see.

        In FO 1.1 the rules for overflow of block containers has been
        clarified and extended to do what you want (I think).

        In addition, in FO 1.1 you should be able to use flow maps and
        multiple flows to get the effect you want.

        Of course, when an implementation of flow maps will be available is
        anybody's guess....

        Cheers,

        Eliot
      • Marco
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 16, 2005
          --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "W. Eliot Kimber" <ekimber@i...> wrote:
          > There's no good way to do this in FO 1.0 as far as I know. If only one
          > of your block containers is likely to overflow you can just make it
          > the region-body and put the other content either in edge regions
          > (presumably using markers) or in absolutely-positioned block
          > containers). But if any of the block containers might overflow then
          > you're pretty well stuck as far as I can see.

          I don't have other choice because I cannot check the data to the source

          > In FO 1.1 the rules for overflow of block containers has been
          > clarified and extended to do what you want (I think).
          >
          > In addition, in FO 1.1 you should be able to use flow maps and
          > multiple flows to get the effect you want.
          >
          > Of course, when an implementation of flow maps will be available is
          > anybody's guess....

          I have decided to abandon xslfo and to use the good library java iText
          to produce pdf, which allows me to check the overflow.
          yet, fop it is not mature, unfortunately

          > Cheers,

          thanks for your reply