Re: [XSL-FO] Table footer positioning

  • Mike Trotman
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 10, 2005
      If your tables break over pages and you have a table-header (which
      therefore repeats at the top of each page)
      then you could put your table footnote in a real footnote in a cell in
      the table-header section.

      Then - whenever the table-header repeats - you get the footnote at the
      bottom of the table.o

      This does work - because I use it for exactly the effect you are talking
      about.

      Mike

      --
      Datalucid Limited
      8 Eileen Road

      tel :+44-0208-239-6810

      email: mike.trotman@...
      web: http://www.datalucid.com

      Message Scanned by ClamAV on datalucid.com
    • Eliot Kimber
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 10, 2005
        Mike Trotman wrote:
        > If your tables break over pages and you have a table-header (which
        > therefore repeats at the top of each page)
        > then you could put your table footnote in a real footnote in a cell in
        > the table-header section.
        >
        > Then - whenever the table-header repeats - you get the footnote at the
        > bottom of the table.o
        >
        > This does work - because I use it for exactly the effect you are talking
        > about.

        While FO implementation are you using? I tried this with XSL Formatter
        3.2 and I only got a footnote on the first page of the table but XEP 4
        repeated it on each page.

        In reviewing the FO 1.1 CR spec I don't see anything that clearly
        specifies what the implication of having out-of-line objects in the
        table header are.

        I think it's reasonable to expect that a footnote specified in the table
        header be repeated on each page on which the header is repeated but I
        don't see anything in the spec that either demands it or disallows it.

        One potential danger with approach, although probably not a likely
        problem, is that implementations are not obligated to place a footnote
        on the same page as the callout--they may choose to force them to a
        following page if there's not enough room on the callout's page.

        Hmm.

        Cheers,

        E.
        --
        W. Eliot Kimber
        Professional Services

        ekimber@...
        www.innodata-isogen.com
      • Mike Trotman
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 10, 2005
          I use FOP 0.20.5 and XEP 4.

          When producing tables the footnotes are normally well known in advance
          and most tables have sufficient rows that there will always be enough
          flexible space
          for all footnotes to be printed at the bottom of the page.

          I agree the behaviour is not clearly defined by the spec. and obviously
          depends on
          how the processor treats table headers.
          If it processes them once and saves the output for reproducing on
          subsequent pages then
          the treatment of footnotes may be restricted to the first page.

          But I reasoned that - if subsequent pages could have different layout
          (margins etc.)
          then any formatter would have to process the headers for each page
          and would be behaving very strangely if they 'decided' that some output
          wasn't to be
          reproduced on each page.

          Mike

          --
          Datalucid Limited

          Message Scanned by ClamAV on datalucid.com