Re: [XSL-FO] Table footer positioning

  • Eliot Kimber
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 10 7:55 AM
      domze68 wrote:
      > I have a table with a table footer. The table is spanning through
      > several pages and I get a table footer on the bottom of each page. On
      > the last page the table footer appears where the table ends (in the
      > middle of the page). Is there any way to force the table footer to
      > appear on the bottom of the page on the last page of the table as
      > well? Just as if the table "filled" the page.

      No, there's really no way to do this with tables. But if you expect your
      tables to fill the pages except the last and you can define a dedicated
      page sequence to those pages (or there are no other pages in the
      document) then you could put the page footer in the region-after. By
      setting your page geometry so that the region-body and region-after are
      exactly adjacent (i.e., the bottom margin of the region-body is exactly
      the same as the extent of the region-after), you can make it look like
      the region-after static content is part of the table.

      The only possible fly in this ointment would be if you force rows to
      stay together on a page, in which case the table might break to a new
      page before it had filled the region-body, which would then leave a gap
      between the bottom of the last row on the page and the region-after
      static content. But if you allow rows to break across pages it should
      work fine.

      Cheers,

      Eliot
      --
      W. Eliot Kimber
      Professional Services

      ekimber@...
      www.innodata-isogen.com
    • Mike Trotman
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 10 11:28 AM
        If your tables break over pages and you have a table-header (which
        therefore repeats at the top of each page)
        then you could put your table footnote in a real footnote in a cell in
        the table-header section.

        Then - whenever the table-header repeats - you get the footnote at the
        bottom of the table.o

        This does work - because I use it for exactly the effect you are talking
        about.

        Mike

        --
        Datalucid Limited
        8 Eileen Road

        tel :+44-0208-239-6810

        email: mike.trotman@...
        web: http://www.datalucid.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 10 12:41 PM
          Mike Trotman wrote:
          > If your tables break over pages and you have a table-header (which
          > therefore repeats at the top of each page)
          > then you could put your table footnote in a real footnote in a cell in
          > the table-header section.
          >
          > Then - whenever the table-header repeats - you get the footnote at the
          > bottom of the table.o
          >
          > This does work - because I use it for exactly the effect you are talking
          > about.

          While FO implementation are you using? I tried this with XSL Formatter
          3.2 and I only got a footnote on the first page of the table but XEP 4
          repeated it on each page.

          In reviewing the FO 1.1 CR spec I don't see anything that clearly
          specifies what the implication of having out-of-line objects in the
          table header are.

          I think it's reasonable to expect that a footnote specified in the table
          header be repeated on each page on which the header is repeated but I
          don't see anything in the spec that either demands it or disallows it.

          One potential danger with approach, although probably not a likely
          problem, is that implementations are not obligated to place a footnote
          on the same page as the callout--they may choose to force them to a
          following page if there's not enough room on the callout's page.

          Hmm.

          Cheers,

          E.
          --
          W. Eliot Kimber
          Professional Services

          ekimber@...
          www.innodata-isogen.com
        • Mike Trotman
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 10 3:30 PM
            I use FOP 0.20.5 and XEP 4.

            When producing tables the footnotes are normally well known in advance
            and most tables have sufficient rows that there will always be enough
            flexible space
            for all footnotes to be printed at the bottom of the page.

            I agree the behaviour is not clearly defined by the spec. and obviously
            depends on
            how the processor treats table headers.
            If it processes them once and saves the output for reproducing on
            subsequent pages then
            the treatment of footnotes may be restricted to the first page.

            But I reasoned that - if subsequent pages could have different layout
            (margins etc.)
            then any formatter would have to process the headers for each page
            and would be behaving very strangely if they 'decided' that some output
            wasn't to be
            reproduced on each page.

            Mike

            --
            Datalucid Limited

            Message Scanned by ClamAV on datalucid.com