Table footer positioning

  • domze68
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 10 6:45 AM
      I have a table with a table footer. The table is spanning through
      several pages and I get a table footer on the bottom of each page. On
      the last page the table footer appears where the table ends (in the
      middle of the page). Is there any way to force the table footer to
      appear on the bottom of the page on the last page of the table as
      well? Just as if the table "filled" the page.
    • Eliot Kimber
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 10 7:55 AM
        domze68 wrote:
        > I have a table with a table footer. The table is spanning through
        > several pages and I get a table footer on the bottom of each page. On
        > the last page the table footer appears where the table ends (in the
        > middle of the page). Is there any way to force the table footer to
        > appear on the bottom of the page on the last page of the table as
        > well? Just as if the table "filled" the page.

        No, there's really no way to do this with tables. But if you expect your
        tables to fill the pages except the last and you can define a dedicated
        page sequence to those pages (or there are no other pages in the
        document) then you could put the page footer in the region-after. By
        setting your page geometry so that the region-body and region-after are
        exactly adjacent (i.e., the bottom margin of the region-body is exactly
        the same as the extent of the region-after), you can make it look like
        the region-after static content is part of the table.

        The only possible fly in this ointment would be if you force rows to
        stay together on a page, in which case the table might break to a new
        page before it had filled the region-body, which would then leave a gap
        between the bottom of the last row on the page and the region-after
        static content. But if you allow rows to break across pages it should
        work fine.

        Cheers,

        Eliot
        --
        W. Eliot Kimber
        Professional Services

        ekimber@...
        www.innodata-isogen.com
      • Mike Trotman
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 10 11:28 AM
          If your tables break over pages and you have a table-header (which
          therefore repeats at the top of each page)
          then you could put your table footnote in a real footnote in a cell in
          the table-header section.

          Then - whenever the table-header repeats - you get the footnote at the
          bottom of the table.o

          This does work - because I use it for exactly the effect you are talking
          about.

          Mike

          --
          Datalucid Limited
          8 Eileen Road

          tel :+44-0208-239-6810

          email: mike.trotman@...
          web: http://www.datalucid.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 10 12:41 PM
            Mike Trotman wrote:
            > If your tables break over pages and you have a table-header (which
            > therefore repeats at the top of each page)
            > then you could put your table footnote in a real footnote in a cell in
            > the table-header section.
            >
            > Then - whenever the table-header repeats - you get the footnote at the
            > bottom of the table.o
            >
            > This does work - because I use it for exactly the effect you are talking
            > about.

            While FO implementation are you using? I tried this with XSL Formatter
            3.2 and I only got a footnote on the first page of the table but XEP 4
            repeated it on each page.

            In reviewing the FO 1.1 CR spec I don't see anything that clearly
            specifies what the implication of having out-of-line objects in the
            table header are.

            I think it's reasonable to expect that a footnote specified in the table
            header be repeated on each page on which the header is repeated but I
            don't see anything in the spec that either demands it or disallows it.

            One potential danger with approach, although probably not a likely
            problem, is that implementations are not obligated to place a footnote
            on the same page as the callout--they may choose to force them to a
            following page if there's not enough room on the callout's page.

            Hmm.

            Cheers,

            E.
            --
            W. Eliot Kimber
            Professional Services

            ekimber@...
            www.innodata-isogen.com
          • Mike Trotman
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 10 3:30 PM
              I use FOP 0.20.5 and XEP 4.

              When producing tables the footnotes are normally well known in advance
              and most tables have sufficient rows that there will always be enough
              flexible space
              for all footnotes to be printed at the bottom of the page.

              I agree the behaviour is not clearly defined by the spec. and obviously
              depends on
              how the processor treats table headers.
              If it processes them once and saves the output for reproducing on
              subsequent pages then
              the treatment of footnotes may be restricted to the first page.

              But I reasoned that - if subsequent pages could have different layout
              (margins etc.)
              then any formatter would have to process the headers for each page
              and would be behaving very strangely if they 'decided' that some output
              wasn't to be
              reproduced on each page.

              Mike

              --
              Datalucid Limited

              Message Scanned by ClamAV on datalucid.com