Re: [XSL-FO] XSL-FO 1.1 Last Call

  • Eliot Kimber
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2005
      Narinder Garg wrote:
      > Hi Klass,
      >
      > Can't we have value "justify" for vertical-align attribute

      This is not an official response from the FO editors, but I think I can
      say without fear of contradiction that the FO subgroup understands the
      requirement but that we deemed it outside the scope of 1.1.

      Vertical justification of this sort (aligning content on two facing
      pages) is a difficult thing to implement and, as far as I know, no
      existing FO implementation provides it. As our list of 1.1 features
      tracks existing implementations almost exclusively, that pretty much
      ensured it would be pushed off.

      It would certainly be possible for FO implementators to add extensions
      to do this, and once they did it would be much more likely that we would
      add it to the list of features in a future version of FO. I know, for
      example, that Arbortext's 3B2 composition engine does vertical
      justification but doesn't have a support FO binding. But as Arbortext is
      both heavily involved in the XSL-FO standard and has deep undestanding
      of composition they are certainly well positioned to provide a robust FO
      binding to the 3B2 engine [which would be pretty cool, in my opinion, as
      3B2 is a very fast and powerful composition engine].

      Cheers,

      Eliot
      --
      W. Eliot Kimber