Re: [XSL-FO] Digest Number 1219

  • Narinder Garg
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29, 2005
      Hi Klass,

      Can't we have value "justify" for vertical-align attribute,
      There has been very common requirement by many of our clients who want the text to be vertically
      justified so that text on opposite pages (fully filled pages, like pages in novels) starts and
      ends at the same vertical points. Currently the top is OK but at the bottom the last line ends at
      different positions, so if some implementers can use this property to adjust the line-height or
      the space-before between blocks, to justify the text vertically.

      Thanks

      Narinder Garg

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2005
        Narinder Garg wrote:
        > Hi Klass,
        >
        > Can't we have value "justify" for vertical-align attribute

        This is not an official response from the FO editors, but I think I can
        say without fear of contradiction that the FO subgroup understands the
        requirement but that we deemed it outside the scope of 1.1.

        Vertical justification of this sort (aligning content on two facing
        pages) is a difficult thing to implement and, as far as I know, no
        existing FO implementation provides it. As our list of 1.1 features
        tracks existing implementations almost exclusively, that pretty much
        ensured it would be pushed off.

        It would certainly be possible for FO implementators to add extensions
        to do this, and once they did it would be much more likely that we would
        add it to the list of features in a future version of FO. I know, for
        example, that Arbortext's 3B2 composition engine does vertical
        justification but doesn't have a support FO binding. But as Arbortext is
        both heavily involved in the XSL-FO standard and has deep undestanding
        of composition they are certainly well positioned to provide a robust FO
        binding to the 3B2 engine [which would be pretty cool, in my opinion, as
        3B2 is a very fast and powerful composition engine].

        Cheers,

        Eliot
        --
        W. Eliot Kimber