XSL-FO 1.1 Last Call

  • Klaas_Bals@inventivedesigners.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 29, 2005
      The XSL Working Group has released a Last Call Working Draft of the
      Extensible Stylesheet Language (XSL) Version 1.1 (aka XSL-FO 1.1). Version
      1.1 updates and enhances the XSL 1.0 Recommendation for change marks,
      indexes, multiple flows, and bookmarks, and extends support for graphics
      scaling, markers, and page numbers. Comments are invited through 16
      September.

      You can find the new document at
      http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-xsl11-20050728/

      For the W3C XSL FO Subgroup,
      -----
      Klaas Bals - CTO
      Inventive Designers
      Direct Phone: +32 - 3 - 8210183
      Office Phone: +32 - 3 - 8210170
      Office Fax: +32 - 3 - 8210171
      Email: Klaas_Bals at inventivedesigners dot com
      http://www.inventivedesigners.com

      Inventive Designers - Keep your options open...

    • Ian Tindale
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
        It occurs to me that it would be "useful" (maybe?) to
        have a property for the list constructions that allows
        the stacking position to be influenced either by the
        list label or the list body, or automatically either
        (whichever is deeper), depending which you think is
        the priority. At the moment it seems that the stacking
        or positioning of the next block will always follow
        the list body depth. I recently (ab)used the list
        constructions hoping to find a way to say "stack after
        the depth of either the list label, or list body,
        whichever you find the deeper in each instance".

      • Eliot Kimber
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
          Ian Tindale wrote:
          > It occurs to me that it would be "useful" (maybe?) to
          > have a property for the list constructions that allows
          > the stacking position to be influenced either by the
          > list label or the list body, or automatically either
          > (whichever is deeper), depending which you think is
          > the priority. At the moment it seems that the stacking
          > or positioning of the next block will always follow
          > the list body depth. I recently (ab)used the list
          > constructions hoping to find a way to say "stack after
          > the depth of either the list label, or list body,
          > whichever you find the deeper in each instance".

          You must be using a broken FO implementation. The spec is very clear
          that all the children of fo:list-block determine its block progression
          dimension (that is, its vertical extent):

          From 6.8.3 fo:list-item:

          "The block-progression-dimension of the content-rectangle of an area
          generated by the fo:list-item is just large enough so that the
          allocation-rectangles of all its child areas are contained in it."

          As both the list-item-label and list-item-body are children of
          list-item, the deeper of the two must always determine the effective
          depth of the list-item as a whole.

          Therefore the behavior of your FO implementation when the list item is
          deeper than the body is non-conforming.

          Cheers,

          Eliot
          --
          W. Eliot Kimber
          Professional Services

          ekimber@...
          www.innodata-isogen.com
        • Eliot Kimber
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
            Eliot Kimber wrote:
            > Ian Tindale wrote:
            >
            >>It occurs to me that it would be "useful" (maybe?) to
            >>have a property for the list constructions that allows
            >>the stacking position to be influenced either by the
            >>list label or the list body, or automatically either
            >>(whichever is deeper), depending which you think is
            >>the priority. At the moment it seems that the stacking
            >>or positioning of the next block will always follow
            >>the list body depth. I recently (ab)used the list
            >>constructions hoping to find a way to say "stack after
            >>the depth of either the list label, or list body,
            >>whichever you find the deeper in each instance".
            >

            > You must be using a broken FO implementation. The spec is very clear
            > that all the children of fo:list-block determine its block progression
            > dimension (that is, its vertical extent):
            >

            > From 6.8.3 fo:list-item:
            >
            > "The block-progression-dimension of the content-rectangle of an area
            > generated by the fo:list-item is just large enough so that the
            > allocation-rectangles of all its child areas are contained in it."

            This test case produces identical results with XSL Formatter 3.2 and XEP
            4.1. In both cases, the block following the list-block starts after the
            deeper of the list label or body:

            <?xml version="1.0"?>
            <fo:root xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format" font-size="10pt"
            font-family="sans-serif"
            line-height="120%">
            <fo:layout-master-set>
            <fo:simple-page-master master-name="mypage" page-height="280mm"
            page-width="210mm">
            <fo:region-body margin-left="20mm" margin-right="20mm"
            margin-top="20mm" margin-bottom="20mm"/>
            <fo:region-before extent="18mm"/>
            <fo:region-after extent="18mm"/>
            </fo:simple-page-master>
            </fo:layout-master-set>
            <fo:page-sequence master-reference="mypage">
            <fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-region-before">
            <fo:block text-align="center">Test ID: list-block-01</fo:block>
            </fo:static-content>
            <fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-region-after">
            <fo:block text-align="center">
            <fo:page-number/>
            </fo:block>
            </fo:static-content>
            <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body" font-family="sans-serif">
            <fo:block>Before the list-block. The list block has a
            distance-between-starts of 30mm</fo:block>
            <fo:list-block provisional-distance-between-starts="30mm"
            provisional-label-separation="2mm"
            color="blue"

            <fo:list-item>
            <fo:list-item-label end-indent="label-end()">
            <fo:block>Short item label</fo:block>
            </fo:list-item-label>
            <fo:list-item-body start-indent="body-start()">
            <fo:block>This is the list item block content.
            This is the list item block content.
            This is the list item block content.
            This is the list item block content.</fo:block>
            </fo:list-item-body>
            </fo:list-item>
            </fo:list-block>
            <fo:block>This block immediately follows the list-block with no
            space-before</fo:block>
            <fo:block space-before="1em">Before the second list-block. The
            list block has a distance-between-starts of 10mm</fo:block>
            <fo:list-block provisional-distance-between-starts="30mm"
            provisional-label-separation="2mm"
            color="blue"

            <fo:list-item>
            <fo:list-item-label end-indent="label-end()">
            <fo:block>Long item label that should be deep</fo:block>
            </fo:list-item-label>
            <fo:list-item-body start-indent="body-start()">
            <fo:block>This is the list item block content.
            This is the list item block content.
            This is the list item block content.
            This is the list item block content.</fo:block>
            </fo:list-item-body>
            </fo:list-item>
            </fo:list-block>
            <fo:block>This block immediately follows the list-block with no
            space-before</fo:block>
            </fo:flow>
            </fo:page-sequence>
            </fo:root>