Clearing the depth of lists when either list-label or list-item might be deeper

  • Ian Tindale
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 26, 2005
      I'm having trouble remembering how (or if) this is possible in FO:

      Imagine a consecutive series of list constructions. Each is
      effectively a single list, in which a single list item lives, in which
      a list item label and list item body exist 'side by side'. There are
      also a set of 'headlines' that precede each list construction (which
      is why they're separated singleton lists).

      Now, if the thing I've got in the list item body is the 'deeper', then
      there's no problem. The following headline set simply stacks after the
      list item body. If, however, the list item label (which is in itself a
      series of blocks containing information - almost like a single-column
      table, but only using a series of stacked blocks in this case) is the
      deeper of the two list components, then we're in trouble. The
      following set of headlines crashes into the list item label, obviously
      because it is ascertaining the follow-on start point to be after the
      stacking depth of the list-item-body (which in these cases is shorter
      than the label).

      These cases are the minority, but a sizeable minority - about a
      quarter of the cases might have a shorter list item body than label.
      What should I do?
      [also sent to xml-publishing's FO forum]
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 26, 2005
        Ian Tindale wrote:

        > I'm having trouble remembering how (or if) this is possible in FO:
        >
        > Imagine a consecutive series of list constructions. Each is
        > effectively a single list, in which a single list item lives, in which
        > a list item label and list item body exist 'side by side'. There are
        > also a set of 'headlines' that precede each list construction (which
        > is why they're separated singleton lists).
        >
        > Now, if the thing I've got in the list item body is the 'deeper', then
        > there's no problem. The following headline set simply stacks after the
        > list item body. If, however, the list item label (which is in itself a
        > series of blocks containing information - almost like a single-column
        > table, but only using a series of stacked blocks in this case) is the
        > deeper of the two list components, then we're in trouble. The
        > following set of headlines crashes into the list item label, obviously
        > because it is ascertaining the follow-on start point to be after the
        > stacking depth of the list-item-body (which in these cases is shorter
        > than the label).
        >
        > These cases are the minority, but a sizeable minority - about a
        > quarter of the cases might have a shorter list item body than label.
        > What should I do?
        > [also sent to xml-publishing's FO forum]

        What Formatting engine are you using? I'm not sure I fully understand
        your requirements but it sounds to me like you could use a two column
        table instead of lists to achieve what you want.

        Chris
      • Ian Tindale
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 26, 2005
          I've gone for that strategy in the end. I thought
          there was a way of having it clear the list label or
          the list body, whichever is the deeper, but maybe I'm
          wrong. I've adopted the table method just as a way of
          moving forward nevertheless. Shame, as it would have
          been a relatively esoteric but seemingly valid use for
          list-structures as a construction.