Re: [XSL-FO] target page count

  • Eliot Kimber
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 15, 2005
      Chris Bowditch wrote:
      > geethanandh wrote:
      >

      >>we have this requirement that the publication should contain certain
      >>number of pages. If the number of pages is less we should insert blank
      >>pages until the target page count.
      >>
      >>So if my publication's target page count is 10 and if the contents
      >>fills up only 6 pages, we would like to insert 4 blank pages at the end.
      >>
      >>is it possible to do it, or do they have to insert the pages manually.
      >

      > I dont think its possible in XSL-FO. The page-sequence has a
      > force-page-count property but I think it can only be used to ensure the
      > page count is odd/even and not a particular number.

      Chris is correct--there's no direct way to do this. Vendors could of
      course add extensions to do this (it probably wouldn't be hard).

      You can also implement a two-pass process that counts the number of
      pages in the initial result and then generates the necessary number of
      extra pages in the second pass. This could be done a number of ways.

      The most general solution would be to generate PDF and then use any of
      the many available PDF tool kits to get the page count.

      If you are using XSL Formatter you can use the API to get the page count
      without writing out the PDF and then do the second pass, all within a
      single process. We've used this technique to implement "list of
      effective page" automation where we have to know how many pages each
      section of a book takes up. We implemented an XSLT extension that
      formats a chapter and gets its page count. This lets us do what is
      essentially a two-pass process in a single XSLT pass.

      I don't know of an equivalent feature in XEP, but with XEP you either
      just generate the PDF directly (which is quite fast) or write out the
      XEP-specific intermediate data and then use that in the second pass to
      get the page count.

      Cheers,

      Eliot
      --
      W. Eliot Kimber
      Professional Services

      ekimber@...
      www.innodata-isogen.com
    • geethanandh
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 15, 2005
        We are using Arbortext's E3

        --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, Eliot Kimber <ekimber@i...> wrote:
        > Chris Bowditch wrote:
        > > geethanandh wrote:
        > >

        > >>we have this requirement that the publication should contain certain
        > >>number of pages. If the number of pages is less we should insert blank
        > >>pages until the target page count.
        > >>
        > >>So if my publication's target page count is 10 and if the contents
        > >>fills up only 6 pages, we would like to insert 4 blank pages at
        the end.

        > >>is it possible to do it, or do they have to insert the pages manually.
        > >

        > > I dont think its possible in XSL-FO. The page-sequence has a
        > > force-page-count property but I think it can only be used to
        ensure the
        > > page count is odd/even and not a particular number.
        >
        > Chris is correct--there's no direct way to do this. Vendors could of
        > course add extensions to do this (it probably wouldn't be hard).
        >
        > You can also implement a two-pass process that counts the number of
        > pages in the initial result and then generates the necessary number of
        > extra pages in the second pass. This could be done a number of ways.
        >
        > The most general solution would be to generate PDF and then use any of
        > the many available PDF tool kits to get the page count.
        >
        > If you are using XSL Formatter you can use the API to get the page
        count
        > without writing out the PDF and then do the second pass, all within a
        > single process. We've used this technique to implement "list of
        > effective page" automation where we have to know how many pages each
        > section of a book takes up. We implemented an XSLT extension that
        > formats a chapter and gets its page count. This lets us do what is
        > essentially a two-pass process in a single XSLT pass.
        >
        > I don't know of an equivalent feature in XEP, but with XEP you either
        > just generate the PDF directly (which is quite fast) or write out the
        > XEP-specific intermediate data and then use that in the second pass to
        > get the page count.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Eliot
        > --
        > W. Eliot Kimber
        > Professional Services
        > Innodata Isogen
        > 9390 Research Blvd, #410
        > Austin, TX 78759
        > (512) 372-8155
        >
        > ekimber@i...
        > www.innodata-isogen.com
      • Eliot Kimber
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 15, 2005
          geethanandh wrote:
          > We are using Arbortext's E3

          There's probably a fairly easy way to get the page count from the E3
          composer but I don't know what it is. This would be an appropriate
          question for Arbortext support or on the Adepters mailing list.

          Cheers,

          E.
          --
          W. Eliot Kimber