Re: [XSL-FO] color till the end of the page

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 10, 2005
      At 2005-06-10 13:48 +0000, geethanandh wrote:
      >I have a text that runs half of the page and the rest of the page is
      >empty. Instead of leaving it blank, i would like to color the empty
      >half of the page, Is it possible to do?? and how do we do it?

      Below is an example that works in Antenna House and RenderX when you have a
      single page of information and you are only filling it part way.

      My thought was to place a block container on the entire page and fill the
      blocks with text that has a solid background to obscure the block container
      colour:

      <page-sequence master-reference="frame">

      <flow flow-name="frame-body" font-family="Times" font-size="20pt">
      <block-container block-progression-dimension="100%"
      background-color="silver">
      <block background-color="white">
      <block>test block filler at top</block>
      <block>test block filler at top</block>
      <block>test block filler at top</block>
      <block>test block filler at top</block>
      <block>test block filler at top</block>
      <block>test block filler at top</block>
      </block>
      </block-container>
      <block>second page starts here</block>
      </flow>
      </page-sequence>

      The above does not work if you have flowing content over multiple pages and
      you only want the last page to have colour at the end.

      I hope this helps.

      . . . . . . . Ken

    • geethanandh
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 10, 2005
        Thanks for the suggestion.

        Unfortunately my content goes more than one page.

        I am using arbortext's E3

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 10, 2005
          At 2005-06-10 16:58 +0300, Igor Istomin wrote:
          > > I have a text that runs half of the page and the rest of the page is
          > > empty. Instead of leaving it blank, i would like to color the empty
          > > half of the page, Is it possible to do?? and how do we do it?
          >
          >You can specify "background-color" property for region-body to fill
          >the page body with some color.

          A caveat with the above is that any use of space-before= on your blocks
          will reveal the region background colour *above* the text as well as below
          the last line of text. This is illustrated with the striped rendering of
          the following:

          ===8<---
          <region-body region-name="frame-body" background-color="silver"/>
          </simple-page-master>
          </layout-master-set>

          <page-sequence master-reference="frame">

          <flow xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format" flow-name="frame-body"
          font-family="Times" font-size="20pt">

          <block space-before="2in" background-color="white">This is a test</block>
          <block space-before="2in" background-color="white">This is a test</block>
          <block space-before="2in" background-color="white">This is a test</block>
          <block space-before="2in" background-color="white">This is a test</block>
          <block space-before="2in" background-color="white">This is a test</block>
          ===8<---

          I haven't figured out why this problem with revealing backgrounds is not a
          problem when putting such blocks inside of a block container. Both AX and
          XEP will obscure the block-container background with white in the
          space-before= used in the following example, but not obscure the
          region-body background with white in the space-before= used in preceding
          example:

          ===8<---
          <flow flow-name="frame-body" font-family="Times" font-size="20pt">
          <block-container block-progression-dimension="100%"
          background-color="silver">
          <block background-color="white">
          <block space-before="10pt">test block filler at top</block>
          <block space-before="10pt">test block filler at top</block>
          <block space-before="10pt">test block filler at top</block>
          <block space-before="10pt">test block filler at top</block>
          <block space-before="10pt">test block filler at top</block>
          <block space-before="10pt">test block filler at top</block>
          </block>
          </block-container>
          <block>second page starts here</block>
          </flow>
          ===8<---

          My understanding of space-before= was that the parent area's background was
          exposed, and that clearly isn't the interpretation of both AX and XEP when
          the background is the parent block-container.

          So I'm lost as to what is going on ... can anyone offer an explanation of
          the differences in the visibility between text lines of the background
          silver colour in the above two examples?

          Thanks!

          . . . . . . Ken

        • Eliot Kimber
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 10, 2005
            geethanandh wrote:
            > I have a text that runs half of the page and the rest of the page is
            > empty. Instead of leaving it blank, i would like to color the empty
            > half of the page, Is it possible to do?? and how do we do it?

            This works in both XEP and XSL Formatter 3.2 and will work for any
            multi-page flow:

            <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body" font-family="sans-serif">
            <fo:block space-before="1em"
            >This is content at the start of the page in a normal
            block</fo:block>
            <fo:block space-before="1em"
            >This is content at the start of the page in a normal
            block</fo:block>
            <fo:block space-before="1em"
            >This is content at the start of the page in a normal
            block</fo:block>
            <fo:block space-before="1em"
            >This is content at the start of the page in a normal
            block</fo:block>
            <fo:block space-before="1em"
            >This is content at the start of the page in a normal
            block</fo:block>
            <fo:block space-before="1em"
            >This is content at the start of the page in a normal
            block</fo:block>
            <fo:block space-before="1em"
            >This is content at the start of the page in a normal
            block</fo:block>
            <fo:block-container
            keep-with-previous.within-page="always"
            keep-together.within-page="always"
            block-progression-dimension="auto"
            inline-progression-dimension="100%"

            <fo:block-container
            keep-with-previous.within-page="always"
            block-progression-dimension="100%"
            inline-progression-dimension="100%"
            background-color="red"
            overflow="hide"

            <fo:block>A block container with a
            block-progression-dimension equal to the
            the BPD of the region-body. overflow="hide", which should
            cause the
            block-container to be clipped to the after edge of the
            region-body.</fo:block>
            </fo:block-container>
            </fo:block-container>
            </fo:flow>