Re: [XSL-FO] Predictability of rendering regions on the page

  • Mike Trotman
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2005
      Thanks Eliot.

      That clarifies things a lot.

      As both packages only supported one meaning of 'absolute' when I was
      trying it I obviously never looked closely at the details of the
      absolute-position property.
      I was using position='absolute' (expecting to get the same behaviour in
      each package)
      but it looks like the older version of XEP ignored the 'absolute' value
      and used 'fixed'
      (and possibly FOP only supported 'absolute' as the behaviour with
      'fixed' never seemed to work)?

      As I was looking for a specification that rendered the same in both
      packages
      I solved the problem by using region-before - when the 'absolute'
      offsets gave the same result in both packages.

      Mike

      Eliot Kimber wrote:

      >Mike Trotman wrote:
      >

      >>Do you know what the correct origin for absolute positioning should be -
      >>is it relative to the page,
      >>or relative to the region?
      >>

      >When absolute=absolute, the block-container is positioned relative to
      >its nearest ancestor reference area. For a block container that has no
      >ancestor block containers, its nearest reference area will be the area
      >for the page region that contains it (e.g., region-body, region-before,
      >etc.).
      >
      >When absolute=fixed, the block-container is positioned relative to the
      >edges of the page (including any page margins, if specified).
      >
      >Older versions of XEP only supported absolute=fixed. I believe that 4.x
      >supports absolute=absolute as well as fixed.
      >
      >Cheers,
      >
      >Eliot

      Message Scanned by ClamAV on datalucid.com