Re: [XSL-FO] Pagination question.

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
      Ben Trafford wrote:

      > Thanks for the reply. I think I was unclear in my question. It's
      > not the placement or existence of the headers and footers that's the
      > problem. The problem is that my <fo:flow> for the body region is longer
      > than the page, and doesn't appear to be flowing correctly onto the next
      > page. In fact, it seems to be reproducing the first page (with the
      > attendant headers and footers) when the fo:flow overflowers the existing
      > page.
      >
      > Basically, I'm trying to figure out how to make my fo:flow
      > paginate correctly between one headered and footered page and another kind
      > of headered/footered page.
      >
      > Is that clearer?

      I could be wrong but, it sounds like you have placed all of your document
      inside a fo:block-container. the contents of a fo:block-container cannot flow
      from one page to the next. Try replacing the fo:block-container with a regular
      fo:block

      Chris
    • Ben Trafford
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
        At 03:46 AM 6/1/2005, Chris Bowditch wrote:
        >I could be wrong but, it sounds like you have placed all of your document
        >inside a fo:block-container. the contents of a fo:block-container cannot flow
        >from one page to the next. Try replacing the fo:block-container with a
        >regular
        >fo:block

        I hadn't, actually. Most of the content is in neither an
        fo:block-container nor an fo:block -- most of it's in fo:tables.

        What would be really helpful would be if some could post a tiny
        code snippet that would get me started. Usually, when I run into these
        problems, the way to fix it becomes obvious when I see an example.

        To reiterate what I need to do: have a block of text flow
        correctly from one page to the next, with a header on the first page, a
        different header on the following pages, and a footer that appears only
        when the text flow is complete.

        I -know- this can't be that hard, but I find the XSL-FO spec
        somewhat impenetrable at the best of times, and in the few years I've been
        using XSL-FO, I've never had this particular situation come up.

        --->Ben
      • Eliot Kimber
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
          Chris Bowditch wrote:
          > I could be wrong but, it sounds like you have placed all of your document
          > inside a fo:block-container. the contents of a fo:block-container cannot flow
          > from one page to the next. Try replacing the fo:block-container with a regular
          > fo:block

          This is not true in all cases (and in XSL-FO 1.1 will not be true at all
          depending on the setting of the overflow property).

          If a block container has a value of "auto" for its dimension in its
          container's block-progression-dimension then the block container should
          act like a normal block and span as many pages as needed to present its
          content.

          If a block container has a fixed dimension in its container's
          block-progression-dimension then whether it can break or not will depend
          on the value of the overflow property in XSL-FO 1.1 (at least as defined
          in the current working draft).

          Cheers,

          Eliot
          --