Pagination question.

  • Ben Trafford
    Message 1 of 6 , May 30, 2005
      Hi!

      I'm having problems making heads or tails of how to make something work,
      and I'm hoping someone can help me out.

      I have a page layout like this:

      header on the first page
      text, which may be multipaged
      footer on the last page

      Now, the footer -may- appear on the first page, if the text doesn't
      overflow onto another page. What I'm trying to figure out is how to make
      the (potentially) multipage block appear on the first page, while having a
      different header on the subsequent pages, and showing the footer only on
      the last page.

      To be clearer on the subject matter:

      Header (company name and information) - only on the first page
      Header (company name and page number) - only on subsequent pages
      Body Text (a list of parts and part descriptions, which may or may not
      span many pages)
      Footer (only appears after the Body)

      Any help or basic examples to get me started would be vastly appreciated.

      --->Ben
    • J.Pietschmann
      Message 2 of 6 , May 31, 2005
        Ben Trafford wrote:
        > Now, the footer -may- appear on the first page, if the text doesn't
        > overflow onto another page. What I'm trying to figure out is how to make
        > the (potentially) multipage block appear on the first page, while having a
        > different header on the subsequent pages, and showing the footer only on
        > the last page.

        Use the usual page sequence master with a first/rest master to
        provide different static content for the fist page, and a marker
        for the footer, roughly
        <fo:root...>
        <fo:static-content region-name="after">
        <fo:retrieve-marker retrieve-class="footer"/>
        </
        <fo:flow ...>
        <fo:block><fo:marker marker-class="footer">Footer text</
        </
        </
        (correct syntax/property names as necessary)

        J.Pietschmann
      • Ben Trafford
        Message 3 of 6 , May 31, 2005
          At 04:24 PM 5/31/2005, J.Pietschmann wrote:
          >Use the usual page sequence master with a first/rest master to
          >provide different static content for the fist page, and a marker
          >for the footer, roughly
          > <fo:root...>
          > <fo:static-content region-name="after">
          > <fo:retrieve-marker retrieve-class="footer"/>
          > </
          > <fo:flow ...>
          > <fo:block><fo:marker marker-class="footer">Footer text</
          > </
          > </

          Thanks for the reply. I think I was unclear in my question. It's
          not the placement or existence of the headers and footers that's the
          problem. The problem is that my <fo:flow> for the body region is longer
          than the page, and doesn't appear to be flowing correctly onto the next
          page. In fact, it seems to be reproducing the first page (with the
          attendant headers and footers) when the fo:flow overflowers the existing page.

          Basically, I'm trying to figure out how to make my fo:flow
          paginate correctly between one headered and footered page and another kind
          of headered/footered page.

          Is that clearer?

          --->Ben
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
            Ben Trafford wrote:

            > Thanks for the reply. I think I was unclear in my question. It's
            > not the placement or existence of the headers and footers that's the
            > problem. The problem is that my <fo:flow> for the body region is longer
            > than the page, and doesn't appear to be flowing correctly onto the next
            > page. In fact, it seems to be reproducing the first page (with the
            > attendant headers and footers) when the fo:flow overflowers the existing
            > page.
            >
            > Basically, I'm trying to figure out how to make my fo:flow
            > paginate correctly between one headered and footered page and another kind
            > of headered/footered page.
            >
            > Is that clearer?

            I could be wrong but, it sounds like you have placed all of your document
            inside a fo:block-container. the contents of a fo:block-container cannot flow
            from one page to the next. Try replacing the fo:block-container with a regular
            fo:block

            Chris
          • Ben Trafford
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
              At 03:46 AM 6/1/2005, Chris Bowditch wrote:
              >I could be wrong but, it sounds like you have placed all of your document
              >inside a fo:block-container. the contents of a fo:block-container cannot flow
              >from one page to the next. Try replacing the fo:block-container with a
              >regular
              >fo:block

              I hadn't, actually. Most of the content is in neither an
              fo:block-container nor an fo:block -- most of it's in fo:tables.

              What would be really helpful would be if some could post a tiny
              code snippet that would get me started. Usually, when I run into these
              problems, the way to fix it becomes obvious when I see an example.

              To reiterate what I need to do: have a block of text flow
              correctly from one page to the next, with a header on the first page, a
              different header on the following pages, and a footer that appears only
              when the text flow is complete.

              I -know- this can't be that hard, but I find the XSL-FO spec
              somewhat impenetrable at the best of times, and in the few years I've been
              using XSL-FO, I've never had this particular situation come up.

              --->Ben
            • Eliot Kimber
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
                Chris Bowditch wrote:
                > I could be wrong but, it sounds like you have placed all of your document
                > inside a fo:block-container. the contents of a fo:block-container cannot flow
                > from one page to the next. Try replacing the fo:block-container with a regular
                > fo:block

                This is not true in all cases (and in XSL-FO 1.1 will not be true at all
                depending on the setting of the overflow property).

                If a block container has a value of "auto" for its dimension in its
                container's block-progression-dimension then the block container should
                act like a normal block and span as many pages as needed to present its
                content.

                If a block container has a fixed dimension in its container's
                block-progression-dimension then whether it can break or not will depend
                on the value of the overflow property in XSL-FO 1.1 (at least as defined
                in the current working draft).

                Cheers,

                Eliot
                --