Re: [XSL-FO] current month and year in the footer

  • J.Pietschmann
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2005
      sachin rathod wrote:
      > How do i write current month and year in the footer of FO?

      Put it as content into the footer of the FO document.
      Details depend on how you actually generate the FO.

      J.Pietschmann
    • sachin rathod
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2005
        I want to a function or tag which i can write so that when i create a RTF( using jfor) from this FO it should display the current month and year in RTF footer. I do not want to hard code as the FO file will be placed in App Server, which we wont be able to modify once the application server is started.

        "J.Pietschmann" <j3322ptm@...> wrote:sachin rathod wrote:
        > How do i write current month and year in the footer of FO?

        Put it as content into the footer of the FO document.
        Details depend on how you actually generate the FO.

        J.Pietschmann

      • Mike Trotman
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2005
          As fas as I know - the only way to include dynamic content in the output
          from a static FO file is through an <fo:external-graphic> element which
          gets a dynamically created image from a server.

          E.g. <fo:external-graphic
          src='url(http://www.server.com/images/bin/now.pl?type=png'/>

          I'm not sure if this would work with JFor - and all the font work etc.
          would need to be done in the graphic.
          You might be able to get better text using an SVG - but I haven't tried
          that.

          Dynamic FO output is really more in the XSL part of the spec than the FO
          part.

          You can be much more flexible if you can produce the FO from an XSLT
          transformation each time.
          Using a similar approach to 'external-graphic' you can then call server
          scripts to return XML containing whatever you like
          and insert these into your FO output.

          If there's only a small part of your FO you want to make dynamic then
          you could also further improve this flexibility by building a simple
          summary.xml file that says which other FO files you want to include
          and then process that through XSLT.

          E.g. Here is a XSL file I use for combining other FO files into a
          single PDF.
          The key lines are 33,34,42 - 45.
          If there is a particular set of FO elements you want to substitute
          content for then you can put in a matching template (using mode='FO')
          and substitute the content you want.(possibly uisng the 'document()'
          approach above.

          The advantage with this approach is that you only need to change a
          fairly simple summary file if you want to create different content
          and the same XSLT can be used on any summary file using the same XML syntax.

          1 <xsl:stylesheet version="1.1"
          2 xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format"
          3 xmlns:dl='http://www.datalucid.com/'
          4 >
          5 <xsl:output method="xml" encoding="UTF-8"
          omit-xml-declaration='yes' indent='yes'/>
          6 <xsl:decimal-format name="nan0" NaN="0"/>
          7
          8 <!-- 11.27in = 29cm ??? -->
          9 <xsl:param name='PAGEWID_CM' select='29'/>
          10 <xsl:include href='dl_dotags.xsl'/>
          11 <!--
          ############################################################ -->
          12 <!-- XSLT for DLXML - Author: Mike Trotman - 03/10/2002 -->
          13 <!--
          ############################################################ -->
          14 <xsl:template match="/">
          15
          16 <fo:root xmlns:fo='http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format'>
          17
          18 <fo:layout-master-set>
          19 <fo:simple-page-master master-name='first'>
          20 <xsl:call-template name='DL_FO_ATTR'><xsl:with-param
          name='RULE' select='"page"'/></xsl:call-template>
          21 <fo:region-body>
          22 <xsl:call-template name='DL_FO_ATTR'><xsl:with-param
          name='RULE' select='"region-body"'/></xsl:call-template>
          23 </fo:region-body>
          24 <fo:region-before>
          25 <xsl:call-template name='DL_FO_ATTR'><xsl:with-param
          name='RULE' select='"region-before"'/></xsl:call-template>
          26 </fo:region-before>
          27 <fo:region-after>
          28 <xsl:call-template name='DL_FO_ATTR'><xsl:with-param
          name='RULE' select='"region-after"'/></xsl:call-template>
          29 </fo:region-after>
          30 </fo:simple-page-master>
          31 </fo:layout-master-set>
          32
          33 <xsl:apply-templates select="SECTIONS/SECTION"/>
          34 <xsl:apply-templates select="TABLE" mode='TABLE'/>
          35 </fo:root>
          36 </xsl:template>
          37 <!--
          ############################################################ -->
          38 <xsl:template match="SECTION">
          39 <xsl:variable name='sid' select='count(preceding::SECTION)'/>
          40 <xsl:for-each select='TABLES/TABLE'>
          41 <xsl:choose>
          42 <xsl:when test='TABFIL/@href_fo'>
          43 <xsl:message>FO Table lookup <xsl:value-of
          select="@tableno"/></xsl:message>
          44 <xsl:apply-templates
          select='document(TABFIL/@href_fo)/*' mode='FO'/>
          45 </xsl:when>
          46 </xsl:choose>
          47 </xsl:for-each>
          48 </xsl:template>
          49 <!--
          ############################################################ -->
          50 <xsl:template match='fo:root' mode='FO'>
          51
          52 <xsl:copy-of select='./fo:page-sequence'/>
          53
          54 </xsl:template>
          55 <!--
          ############################################################ -->
          56 </xsl:stylesheet>

          Not sure if that helps in your situation - but it works for me.

          sachin rathod wrote:

          >I want to a function or tag which i can write so that when i create a RTF( using jfor) from this FO it should display the current month and year in RTF footer. I do not want to hard code as the FO file will be placed in App Server, which we wont be able to modify once the application server is started.
          >
          >"J.Pietschmann" <j3322ptm@...> wrote:sachin rathod wrote:
          >

          >>How do i write current month and year in the footer of FO?
          >>

          >Put it as content into the footer of the FO document.
          >Details depend on how you actually generate the FO.
          >
          >J.Pietschmann

        • Peter B. West
          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2005
            This may be possible if the format of "fields" in RTF is known. I don't
            know it, but it is common in word processing documents to have
            dynamically updated fields for things like the page number. They are
            presumably stored in a particular format in the file, If you can
            reproduce the data and format of that field in your RTF output, it
            should work.

            Peter