Re: [XSL-FO] Convert my FO to HTML

  • Andreas Jung
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 26, 2005
      --On Mittwoch, 27. April 2005 6:31 Uhr +0000 virgul4u <t.coita@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I use FOP
      >
      > My question is:
      >
      > Is there any way to transform my fo in Html or XHTML?
      >
      > I have seen that Renderx has made a free XSL but that make me an
      > horrible output!!!
      >
      > Are an another program to do that or I'm obligate to write an new XSLT?

      Wouldn't it be easier to generate HTML from your original format? Generating
      HTML from FO sounds like a broken-by-design idea to me.

      -aj

    • Christian Duschl
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 26, 2005
        Hi Thierry,

        at www.x-Forms.de you can download a trial- version of a renderer which supports html- output. but there is only a german version available.

        regards
        Christian Duschl
        Is there any way to transform my fo in Html or XHTML?

        I have seen that Renderx has made a free XSL but that make me an
        horrible output!!!

        Are an another program to do that or I'm obligate to write an new XSLT?

        Thanks for your help

        Thierry

      • Victor Vishnyakov
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 27, 2005
          The need for transforming from XSL-FO to XHTML means that your system data
          flows are not properly designed. Both this formats are data presentation. So
          they should be generated from the original data (XML). Otherwise the
          conversion might distort the data. XHTML is a web presentation while XSL-FO
          is a print one. There are no page-headers, footnotes, even and odd page
          layouts, page numbers, retrieve markers and etc in XHTML. Thus the
          conversion will lose the information stored in these parts of the stylesheet
          and you wouldn't even know about it.

          I recommend writing an additional stylesheet for converting your original
          XML data directly to XHTML. Do not convert XSL-FO to XHTML. This is a bad
          design and will cause you a lot of problems for you.

          Best Regards,
          Victor Vishnyakov
          http://xslfo-zone.com/

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 27, 2005
            At 2005-04-27 06:31 +0000, virgul4u wrote:
            >I have seen that Renderx has made a free XSL but that make me an
            >horrible output!!!

            How would you characterize "horrible"?

            I've successfully used this stylesheet in the Universal Business Language
            (UBL) stylesheets available free from our web site.

            I'm successfully deploying this stylesheet at a customer site in production
            on thousands of desktops, and the results are far from horrible.

            I very much appreciate having this stylesheet from RenderX available to use
            ... it is a real asset.

            I think users considering FO to HTML should try the stylesheet with their
            choice of XSL-FO they are creating and make their own judgement about
            "horrible".

            >Are an another program to do that or I'm obligate to write an new XSLT?

            Why not just use <xsl:import> and tweak the behaviours you don't like and
            keep the behaviours you do like?

            . . . . . . . . . . . Ken

          • virgul4u
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 27, 2005
              Thanks a lot for your answers!!!

              Christian your program is so nice(take the position of all the
              things in the fo and position that in a html) but he make the html a
              little bit to big (250Ko for 3 pages I have that make 200pages and
              he don't make me error but don't produce the html files) So I think
              I write again my 10 xsl!

              ++

              Thierry

              --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "Christian Duschl"
              <christianDuschl@x> wrote:
              > Hi Thierry,
              >
              > at www.x-Forms.de you can download a trial- version of a renderer
              which supports html- output. but there is only a german version
              available.

              > regards
              > Christian Duschl

            • Christian Duschl
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 27, 2005

                we are working on that, propably the next release will reduce the size very
                much.
                would it be possible to get an example of your fo- code ?

                regards,
                Christian
                christianduschl@...

                > Christian your program is so nice(take the position of all the
                > things in the fo and position that in a html) but he make the html a
                > little bit to big (250Ko for 3 pages I have that make 200pages and
                > he don't make me error but don't produce the html files) So I think
                > I write again my 10 xsl!
                >
                > ++
                >
                > Thierry
                >
                > --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "Christian Duschl"
                > <christianDuschl@x> wrote:
                >> Hi Thierry,
                >>
                >> at www.x-Forms.de you can download a trial- version of a renderer
                > which supports html- output. but there is only a german version
                > available.
                >>
                >> regards
                >> Christian Duschl

              • virgul4u
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 28, 2005

                  Sorry but with "my fo" when I make the transformation with the xsl
                  from RenderX that make me an incorrect output(it's more correct so
                  I'm agree). Would you like that I send to you for see the result? I
                  have a lot of two table in one big table and with your fo the colums
                  are not respected!

                  It's possibly because I make my fo for fop and not for RenderX. For
                  another fo it's possible that make a beautiful output. but in my
                  last post I have write: "that make me"

                  So I have make the choice to make another xsl for my html output
                  because I don't have time to modify the xsl from renderX.

                  Another program exist but you need a license(it's not free I'm
                  agree) and that make exactly what you have in the Fo it's www.x-
                  Forms.de but for the moment the html is a little big for me (only
                  for me and me application)

                  Sorry for have make you hangry it's was not my goal!!!
                  It's was only for explain my case. And my english is not very good
                  and I possibly don't use the correct word for explain me.

                  ++

                  Thierry

                  P.S. Christian see in your mailbox