Creating bookmarks

  • Nicola Harlow
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 8, 2005

      Probably a basic question, but how do you create bookmarks using XSL:FO
      for PDF?

      I have a large document that needs navigation, and being able to convert
      the TOC into bookmarks would be an extra help.

      Thanks,

      Nicola

      Nicola Harlow
      Technical Author
      The Program Management Group plc
      tel: +44 (0) 1937 547 171
      direct: +44 (0) 1937 547 165
      fax: +44 (0) 1937 547 154
      mail: nicola.harlow@...
      web: http://www.pm-group.com

    • Mike Ferrando
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 8, 2005
        Nicola,
        The bookmark issue really is a XSLT engine issue.

        Some XSL-FO processors have bookmark extensions and some don't.

        XSL-Formatter = yes
        http://www.jsa.or.jp/domestic/instac/committe/H15report/report-contents/ep/docs/xsl_ext/xfo-extension.html

        XEP = yes
        http://www.renderx.com/tutorial.html

        FOP = yes
        http://xml.apache.org/fop/extensions.html

        It is possible that you will have to pay for the full version with
        some of these in order to get the extensions to create bookmarks.

        Mike Ferrando
        Washington, DC
        202-707-4454

        --- Nicola Harlow <nicola.harlow@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Probably a basic question, but how do you create bookmarks using
        > XSL:FO
        > for PDF?
        >

        > I have a large document that needs navigation, and being able to
        > convert
        > the TOC into bookmarks would be an extra help.
        >

        > Thanks,
        >

        > Nicola
        >

        > Nicola Harlow
        > Technical Author
        > The Program Management Group plc
        > tel: +44 (0) 1937 547 171
        > direct: +44 (0) 1937 547 165
        > fax: +44 (0) 1937 547 154
        > mail: nicola.harlow@...
        > web: http://www.pm-group.com

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Nicola Harlow
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 8, 2005
          Thanks Mike, I already have the full version of XEP so I'll see what
          they say :)

        • Altsoft Xml2PDF
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 8, 2005
            Since the version 1.1 XSL-FO specification has formatting objects for
            bookmarks (see http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#d0e14045).

            And Altsoft Xml2PDF (http://alt-soft.com/products_xml2pdf.jsp) has a native
            support for them.

            Best Regards,
            Altsoft Xml2PDF Team
            http://alt-soft.com/

          • Nicola Harlow
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 8, 2005
              Thanks, I should be able to work it out from that :)

            • Dave Pawson
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 8, 2005
                On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 06:35 -0700, Mike Ferrando wrote:
                > Nicola,
                > The bookmark issue really is a XSLT engine issue.
                >
                > Some XSL-FO processors have bookmark extensions and some don't.

                Minor bitch.
                Bookmarks aren't in the rec.

                So implementor decisions don't really count for much till the next rec.

                Please ignore vendors sales pitches Nicola.

                regards DaveP.
              • Mike Ferrando
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 8, 2005
                  Dave P.,
                  I couldn't understand you reply.

                  Is the "rec." anywhere close concerning these XSL-FO bookmarks?

                  Mike Ferrando
                  Washington, DC

                  --- Dave Pawson <DaveP@...> wrote:

                  > On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 06:35 -0700, Mike Ferrando wrote:
                  > > Nicola,
                  > > The bookmark issue really is a XSLT engine issue.
                  > >
                  > > Some XSL-FO processors have bookmark extensions and some don't.
                  >
                  > Minor bitch.
                  > Bookmarks aren't in the rec.
                  >
                  > So implementor decisions don't really count for much till the next
                  > rec.
                  >
                  > Please ignore vendors sales pitches Nicola.
                  >
                  > regards DaveP.
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  __________________________________
                  Yahoo! Messenger
                • Dave Pawson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 9, 2005
                    On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 13:57 -0700, Mike Ferrando wrote:
                    > Dave P.,
                    > I couldn't understand you reply.
                    >
                    > Is the "rec." anywhere close concerning these XSL-FO bookmarks?

                    I took it to mean Adobe PDF bookmarks Mike, which aren't supported
                    in the rec AFAIK?
                    I believe they are supported as implementor extensions?

                    regards DaveP
                  • Eliot Kimber
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 9, 2005
                      Dave Pawson wrote:
                      > On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 13:57 -0700, Mike Ferrando wrote:
                      >
                      >>Dave P.,
                      >>I couldn't understand you reply.
                      >>
                      >>Is the "rec." anywhere close concerning these XSL-FO bookmarks?
                      >

                      > I took it to mean Adobe PDF bookmarks Mike, which aren't supported
                      > in the rec AFAIK?
                      > I believe they are supported as implementor extensions?

                      Bookmarks are provided for in the current 1.1 working draft and most
                      implementations seem to be in the process of implementing them.

                      In addition, I believe all the implementations provide some sort of
                      extension for generating PDF bookmarks today. I think XEP's design is
                      closest to the 1.1 spec design, which lets you define a separate
                      "bookmark tree" that is distinct from the main page sequence area tree.

                      Cheers,

                      E.
                      --
                      W. Eliot Kimber
                      Professional Services

                      ekimber@...
                      www.innodata-isogen.com
                    • Nicola Harlow
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 11, 2005
                        Thanks Dave, although I do use XEP so I might have a go and see if I can
                        get it to work without forking out any cash.

                        I try not to feed the vendors who post (and I've had a few...)