Controlled Failing of a PDF

  • Nicola Harlow
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 8, 2005

      Is there any way to fail a transformation if the XML contains a certain
      tag?

      I know you can not have it in the DTD and it would scream at you, but I
      have a single DTD that supports 3 formats.

      I'm creating PDF, CHM and plain HMTL output from the same XML. The
      problem is that the PDF can't use some of the CHM tags.

      I've created an XSL to process the XML into a PDF compatible xml output,
      which means you have to process the XML twice. Not perfect, but seems it
      is the only way to do it without interrupting the flow.

      I basically want the XSL to fail if it detects the tag <toc_book> in the
      XML and not create the PDF, so the user knows they've screwed up and
      need to go back and process the XML properly. At the moment it just
      creates the PDF anyway.

      Is this possible?

      Sorry if this makes no sense!

      Nicola

      Nicola Harlow
      Technical Author
      The Program Management Group plc
      tel: +44 (0) 1937 547 171
      direct: +44 (0) 1937 547 165
      fax: +44 (0) 1937 547 154
      mail: nicola.harlow@...
      web: http://www.pm-group.com

    • Bob Stayton
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 8, 2005
        This template should do it:

        <xsl:template match="toc_book">
        <xsl:message terminate="yes">The toc_book element is not permitted.
        Exiting. </xsl:message>
        </xsl:template>

        The terminate="yes" attribute should kill the processing.

        Bob Stayton
        Sagehill Enterprises
        DocBook Consulting
        bobs@...

        > Is there any way to fail a transformation if the XML contains a certain
        > tag?
        >

        > I know you can not have it in the DTD and it would scream at you, but I
        > have a single DTD that supports 3 formats.
        >

        > I'm creating PDF, CHM and plain HMTL output from the same XML. The
        > problem is that the PDF can't use some of the CHM tags.
        >
        > I've created an XSL to process the XML into a PDF compatible xml output,
        > which means you have to process the XML twice. Not perfect, but seems it
        > is the only way to do it without interrupting the flow.
        >

        > I basically want the XSL to fail if it detects the tag <toc_book> in the
        > XML and not create the PDF, so the user knows they've screwed up and
        > need to go back and process the XML properly. At the moment it just
        > creates the PDF anyway.
        >

        > Is this possible?
        >

        > Sorry if this makes no sense!
        >

        > Nicola