Newline Characters in XSL-FO

  • Umer Rashid
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2005
      Is there any special way to display newline, space characters,
      carriage returns in XSL-FO? I'm using XLS Formatter V3.2 and
      it times the newline characters in the text written in XML,
      which I want to display in XSL-FO file.

      Any solution to this problem?

      Regards,
      Umer
    • Victor Vishnyakov
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2005
        You should use the following properties to achieve the desired result:
        7.15.7. "linefeed-treatment"
        7.15.8. "white-space-treatment"
        7.15.12. "white-space-collapse"

        Read the spec for the additional details.

        Best Regards,
        Victor Vishnyakov
        http://xslfo-zone.com/

      • Dave Pawson
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2005
          On Fri, 2005-04-01 at 09:39 +0000, Umer Rashid wrote:

          > Is there any special way to display newline, space characters,
          > carriage returns in XSL-FO? I'm using XLS Formatter V3.2 and
          > it times the newline characters in the text written in XML,
          > which I want to display in XSL-FO file.
          >
          > Any solution to this problem?

          See Victors reply for a real how to.

          First you need to realise that the XML source document is
          (most likely) marked up semantically, not using presentational markup.

          >From that structure, you may want to apply presentational information
          based on structure, e.g. a new line at the end of a paragraph.

          Use that approach and Victors syntax and you'll solve your problem.

          HTH

          Dave Pawson
          XSLT + Docbook FAQ
          http://www.dpawson.co.uk