Want to convert Excel file to PDF

  • Mahesh Devjibhai Dhola
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 17, 2005
      I have requirement that i need to generate pdf from excel file. The formats and cells will come from excel file, get data from beans and then write pdf file.

      for this, i have read excel file and gather information in my classes using POI-HSSF apis. that work is done.
      Now i want to write the pdf file, can you give me any idea how to do that?
      I have tried to generate xml file from excel file using JExcelAPI but then i have not XSL file so how i can generate pdf using XSL-FO, because atleast fo files or xml+xsl file needed to generate pdf.

      Can you help me Please!!!!

      Thanking you,

      Regards,
      Mahesh Devjibhai Dhola
      "Empower yourself...."

    • LuzErez
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 17, 2005
        U can do much simpler things in order to convert Excel to pdf. Try using a
        pdf print driver ( http://www.pdf995.com )

        Best Regards

        Luz Erez
        Email: Luz@...
        Web: www.ErezSoft.com

        I have requirement that i need to generate pdf from excel file. The formats
        and cells will come from excel file, get data from beans and then write pdf
        file.

        for this, i have read excel file and gather information in my classes using
        POI-HSSF apis. that work is done.
        Now i want to write the pdf file, can you give me any idea how to do that?
        I have tried to generate xml file from excel file using JExcelAPI but then i
        have not XSL file so how i can generate pdf using XSL-FO, because atleast fo
        files or xml+xsl file needed to generate pdf.

        Can you help me Please!!!!

        Thanking you,

        Regards,
        Mahesh Devjibhai Dhola
        "Empower yourself...."

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Mahesh Devjibhai Dhola
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 18, 2005
          Thanks for reply,
          but my requirement is to convert excel to pdf programattically so cannot use such type of print driver,
          Waiting for any other good idea,
          Thanks,

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 20, 2005
            You can use the Apache FOP Java API, see http://xml.apache.org/fop/. You
            do need to write an XSL-FO stylesheet to apply to your XML to produce the
            input to the Apache FOP driver.

            You don't need to write out an XML text file. Look at a SAXSource as an
            alternative. Create an XMLReader implementation that feeds the excel cell
            information directly into start/end elements on the ContentHandler, and
            create a SAXSource using that XMLReader. That's your document. Then you
            need an XSL-FO stylesheet. Then you perform a JAXP transform that takes
            your source, transforms it with the stylesheet, and writes the results into
            the ContentHandler of the Apache FOP driver.

            Regards,
            Daniel Parker
            http://servingxml.sourceforge.net/