PCL rendering

  • douglasoosterbaan
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 9, 2005
      Does anyone know of any reputable XSL-FO implementations that
      provide rendering in PCL format? I've been prototyping
      with Apache FOP and it works quite well, however we've discoved
      one thing it doesn't support that we really need. Our schedule
      doesn't allow us the luxury of modifying the open source to
      fit our needs, so I've been investigating whether there are
      other implementations that provide PCL. The only other one
      I've been able to find is Scriptura XBOS 3.1, but they don't
      provide a lot of technical information on the website.

      Thanks in advance.
    • Dave Pawson
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 10, 2005
        On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 21:09 +0000, douglasoosterbaan wrote:

        > Does anyone know of any reputable XSL-FO implementations that
        > provide rendering in PCL format?

        No.... (I was going to say thank goodness... I won't).
        Lots of tries, few successes. PDF and PS are two.
        Let's not have too many (please).

        regards DaveP
      • Jirka Kosek
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 10, 2005
          douglasoosterbaan wrote:

          > Does anyone know of any reputable XSL-FO implementations that
          > provide rendering in PCL format? I've been prototyping
          > with Apache FOP and it works quite well, however we've discoved
          > one thing it doesn't support that we really need. Our schedule
          > doesn't allow us the luxury of modifying the open source to
          > fit our needs, so I've been investigating whether there are
          > other implementations that provide PCL. The only other one
          > I've been able to find is Scriptura XBOS 3.1, but they don't
          > provide a lot of technical information on the website.

          You can use any FO processor that is able to generate PDF or PostScript
          (e.g. XEP or XSL Formatter) and then use Ghostscript to render it into PCL.

          Jirka

          Jirka Kosek e-mail: jirka@... http://www.kosek.cz
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 11, 2005
            Dave Pawson wrote:

            > On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 21:09 +0000, douglasoosterbaan wrote:
            > >

            > > Does anyone know of any reputable XSL-FO implementations that
            > > provide rendering in PCL format?
            >
            > No.... (I was going to say thank goodness... I won't).
            > Lots of tries, few successes. PDF and PS are two.
            > Let's not have too many (please).

            I dont understand this comment, why would a renderer with decent PCL output be
            a bad thing?

            Chris
          • tokukobayashi2002
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 11, 2005
              Hello,

              Antenna House XSL Formatter for Windows may use Windows
              printer driver in order to print out a rendering result.

              I suppose there are many PCL printer drivers for
              Windows which can generate PCL files.

              Regards,

              Tokushige Kobayashi

              --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "douglasoosterbaan"
              <douglas.oosterbaan@l...> wrote:

              > Does anyone know of any reputable XSL-FO implementations that
              > provide rendering in PCL format? I've been prototyping
              > with Apache FOP and it works quite well, however we've discoved
              > one thing it doesn't support that we really need. Our schedule
              > doesn't allow us the luxury of modifying the open source to
              > fit our needs, so I've been investigating whether there are
              > other implementations that provide PCL. The only other one
              > I've been able to find is Scriptura XBOS 3.1, but they don't
              > provide a lot of technical information on the website.
              >
              > Thanks in advance.

              -- Antenna House, Inc.
              E-mail koba@...
              WWW http://www.antenna.co.jp/XML/ (Japanese)
              WWW http://www.antennahouse.com/ (English)
              TEL +81-3-3234-1361 (direct call)
              FAX +81-3-3221-9975
            • Klaas_Bals@inventivedesigners.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 14, 2005
                "douglasoosterbaan" <douglas.oosterbaan@...> wrote on
                09/02/2005 22:09:52:

                > Does anyone know of any reputable XSL-FO implementations that
                > provide rendering in PCL format? I've been prototyping
                > with Apache FOP and it works quite well, however we've discoved
                > one thing it doesn't support that we really need. Our schedule
                > doesn't allow us the luxury of modifying the open source to
                > fit our needs, so I've been investigating whether there are
                > other implementations that provide PCL. The only other one
                > I've been able to find is Scriptura XBOS 3.1, but they don't
                > provide a lot of technical information on the website.
                >
                > Thanks in advance.

                Sorry for my late response.

                As you mention, Scriptura XBOS Server 3.1 has support for PCL5 output. We
                do TrueType font embedding (with various approaches, suited for your
                needs). We support duplex printing, and number of copies setting. As
                Scriptura XBOS is written completely in Java, it supports virtually any
                platform.

                Most of our clients use PCL5 output to generate content on a server that
                needs to be printed on many small and cheap USB printers on their
                employees desks.

                For more information about Scriptura XBOS Server 3.1, you can visit
                http://www.inventivedesigners.com/scriptura If you need more technical
                information, send an email to sales@... and we can set
                up a demo for you.

                Best regards,
                -----
                Klaas Bals - CTO
                Inventive Designers
                Direct Phone: +32 - 3 - 8210183
                Office Phone: +32 - 3 - 8210170
                Office Fax: +32 - 3 - 8210171
                Email: Klaas_Bals at inventivedesigners dot com

                Inventive Designers - Keep your options open...

                Inventive Designers' Email Disclaimer: