Re: [XSL-FO] Re: Page numbers int multidocument files

  • Dave Pawson
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 10, 2005
      On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 07:11 +0000, jromark wrote:

      > Thank you for your hint, Dave.
      > Your code makes every bill start with page number = 1, but does it
      > show the correct number of pages in the specific bill? My problem is
      > that I get the total number of pages in the document.

      Which is what's normally wanted. I wasn't sure.

      Bottom line, there is no 'real' feedback from the formatter
      to the XSLT stage then.

      Hence you can't start counting

      1.... a.....b.....c

      such that a=>1
      b=> b-a etc.

      Try me again with your requirement please.
      Looks like I didn't understand it.

      Dave Pawson
      XSLT + Docbook FAQ
      http://www.dpawson.co.uk
    • J.Pietschmann
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 10, 2005
        jromark wrote:
        > Your code makes every bill start with page number = 1, but does it
        > show the correct number of pages in the specific bill? My problem is
        > that I get the total number of pages in the document.

        A FAQ of some sorts. See
        http://xml.apache.org/fop/faq.html#fo-total-pages

        J.Pietschmann
      • jromark
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 10, 2005
          --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, Dave Pawson <DaveP@d...> wrote:
          > On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 07:11 +0000, jromark wrote:
          >

          > > Thank you for your hint, Dave.
          > > Your code makes every bill start with page number = 1, but does
          it
          > > show the correct number of pages in the specific bill? My problem
          is
          > > that I get the total number of pages in the document.
          >
          > Which is what's normally wanted. I wasn't sure.
          >
          > Bottom line, there is no 'real' feedback from the formatter
          > to the XSLT stage then.
          >
          > Hence you can't start counting
          >
          > 1.... a.....b.....c
          >
          > such that a=>1
          > b=> b-a etc.
          >
          > Try me again with your requirement please.
          > Looks like I didn't understand it.
          >

          > --
          > Regards,
          >
          > Dave Pawson
          > XSLT + Docbook FAQ
          > http://www.dpawson.co.uk

          Sorry bout the unclearity!
          Problem:
          My pdf document (65 pages) contain 20 bills. Most bills goes over
          several pages. Each bill should be pagenumbered "page x of y pages"
          where y is the number of pages in that specific bill (not the number
          of pages in the pdf document).

          Example:
          invoice.pdf{
          Bill_1 "page x of 3"
          Bill_2 "page x of 2"
          Bill_3 "page x of 7"
          }

          Regards,
          Jørgen Romark
        • tokukobayashi2002
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 11, 2005
            Your request needs special extension to XSL-FO
            specification.

            XSL Formatter can do it by original extension.

            http://www.antennahouse.com/xslfo/axf3-extension.htm#axf.origin-id

            "axf:origin-id"
            Specifies the origin of the page number.
            Value: <idref>
            Initial: none
            Applies to: fo:page-number-citation
            Inherited: no
            Percentages: N/A

            ID for the origin of the page number can be specified in
            fo:page-number-citation. The output page number is as follows:

            [ref-id page] - [origin-id page] + 1

            If the specified Page is after the ref-id page, the value becomes 0.
            You may speciafy as follows:
            1. Assume each bill is specified as a page-sequence with
            initial-page-number="1".

            <fo:page-sequence inital-page-number="1">

            2. Assign id="top-id" to the first fo:block of a bill

            3. Assign id="bottom-id" to the last fo:block of a bill

            4. Specify page-number as

            page <fo:page-number> of <fo:page-number-citation ref-id="bottom-id"
            axf:origin-id="top-id"/>

            The formatted result should be:

            page x of 3

            You may request and download evaluation version of
            XSL Formatter from here:

            http://www.antennahouse.com/

            Best regards,

            Tokushige Kobayashi

            --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "jromark" <jorgen.romark@s...> wrote:
            > Problem:
            > My pdf document (65 pages) contain 20 bills. Most bills goes over
            > several pages. Each bill should be pagenumbered "page x of y pages"
            > where y is the number of pages in that specific bill (not the
            number
            > of pages in the pdf document).
            >
            > Example:
            > invoice.pdf{
            > Bill_1 "page x of 3"
            > Bill_2 "page x of 2"
            > Bill_3 "page x of 7"
            > }
            >
            > Regards,
            > Jørgen Romark

            E-mail koba@...
            WWW http://www.antenna.co.jp/XML/ (Japanese)
            WWW http://www.antennahouse.com/ (English)
            TEL +81-3-3234-1361 (direct call)
            FAX +81-3-3221-9975
          • Dave Pawson
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 11, 2005
              On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 07:23 +0000, jromark wrote:

              > Problem:
              > My pdf document (65 pages) contain 20 bills. Most bills goes over
              > several pages.

              Assuming your input is XML,
              use XSLT features | extension to produce 20 xsl-fo documents,
              each then is a standard way of producing a single output, which
              can then number your pages as you want.

              input => 20 x xsl-fo docs using xslt
              xsl-fo => pdf using xsl-fo formatter.

              HTH DaveP

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 11, 2005
                At 2005-01-11 07:23 +0000, jromark wrote:
                >Problem:
                >My pdf document (65 pages) contain 20 bills. Most bills goes over
                >several pages. Each bill should be pagenumbered "page x of y pages"
                >where y is the number of pages in that specific bill (not the number
                >of pages in the pdf document).
                >
                >Example:
                >invoice.pdf{
                > Bill_1 "page x of 3"
                > Bill_2 "page x of 2"
                > Bill_3 "page x of 7"
                >}

                Put each of your bills into a separate page sequence so that you can start
                the page number at 1 for each bill. Flow at the end of each page sequence
                an empty block with a unique id= value.

                Then, in your static content you can do a <page-number-citation> to that
                page sequence's unique value in order to get the bill's total number of pages.

                I hope this helps.

              • tokukobayashi2002
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 12, 2005
                  I am sorry that I made a mistake.

                  The following comment is not correct.
                  Mr. Ken Holman's comment:
                  6128 Re: Page numbers int multidocument files

                  is correct.

                  Tokushige Kobayashi

                  E-mail koba@a...