Re: Page numbers int multidocument files

  • jromark
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 9, 2005
      --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, Dave Pawson <DaveP@d...> wrote:
      > On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 14:17 +0100, Jørgen Romark wrote:
      > >
      > > I have a XML file with bills to all my customers.
      > > How can I get pagenumbering type "page n of y" where first page
      for each
      > > customer starts with 1 and y is the last page for that customer
      in one
      > > single pdf file?
      > > Appreciate all help and hints!
      >
      > http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect3/N8703.html#d11542e31
      >

      > HTH
      >

      > --
      > Regards,
      >

      > Dave Pawson
      > XSLT + Docbook FAQ
      > http://www.dpawson.co.uk

      Thank you for your hint, Dave.
      Your code makes every bill start with page number = 1, but does it
      show the correct number of pages in the specific bill? My problem is
      that I get the total number of pages in the document.

      Regards
      Jørgen Romark
    • Dave Pawson
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 10, 2005
        On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 07:11 +0000, jromark wrote:

        > Thank you for your hint, Dave.
        > Your code makes every bill start with page number = 1, but does it
        > show the correct number of pages in the specific bill? My problem is
        > that I get the total number of pages in the document.

        Which is what's normally wanted. I wasn't sure.

        Bottom line, there is no 'real' feedback from the formatter
        to the XSLT stage then.

        Hence you can't start counting

        1.... a.....b.....c

        such that a=>1
        b=> b-a etc.

        Try me again with your requirement please.
        Looks like I didn't understand it.

        Dave Pawson
        XSLT + Docbook FAQ
        http://www.dpawson.co.uk
      • J.Pietschmann
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 10, 2005
          jromark wrote:
          > Your code makes every bill start with page number = 1, but does it
          > show the correct number of pages in the specific bill? My problem is
          > that I get the total number of pages in the document.

          A FAQ of some sorts. See
          http://xml.apache.org/fop/faq.html#fo-total-pages

          J.Pietschmann
        • jromark
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 10, 2005
            --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, Dave Pawson <DaveP@d...> wrote:
            > On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 07:11 +0000, jromark wrote:
            >

            > > Thank you for your hint, Dave.
            > > Your code makes every bill start with page number = 1, but does
            it
            > > show the correct number of pages in the specific bill? My problem
            is
            > > that I get the total number of pages in the document.
            >
            > Which is what's normally wanted. I wasn't sure.
            >
            > Bottom line, there is no 'real' feedback from the formatter
            > to the XSLT stage then.
            >
            > Hence you can't start counting
            >
            > 1.... a.....b.....c
            >
            > such that a=>1
            > b=> b-a etc.
            >
            > Try me again with your requirement please.
            > Looks like I didn't understand it.
            >

            > --
            > Regards,
            >
            > Dave Pawson
            > XSLT + Docbook FAQ
            > http://www.dpawson.co.uk

            Sorry bout the unclearity!
            Problem:
            My pdf document (65 pages) contain 20 bills. Most bills goes over
            several pages. Each bill should be pagenumbered "page x of y pages"
            where y is the number of pages in that specific bill (not the number
            of pages in the pdf document).

            Example:
            invoice.pdf{
            Bill_1 "page x of 3"
            Bill_2 "page x of 2"
            Bill_3 "page x of 7"
            }

            Regards,
            Jørgen Romark
          • tokukobayashi2002
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 11, 2005
              Your request needs special extension to XSL-FO
              specification.

              XSL Formatter can do it by original extension.

              http://www.antennahouse.com/xslfo/axf3-extension.htm#axf.origin-id

              "axf:origin-id"
              Specifies the origin of the page number.
              Value: <idref>
              Initial: none
              Applies to: fo:page-number-citation
              Inherited: no
              Percentages: N/A

              ID for the origin of the page number can be specified in
              fo:page-number-citation. The output page number is as follows:

              [ref-id page] - [origin-id page] + 1

              If the specified Page is after the ref-id page, the value becomes 0.
              You may speciafy as follows:
              1. Assume each bill is specified as a page-sequence with
              initial-page-number="1".

              <fo:page-sequence inital-page-number="1">

              2. Assign id="top-id" to the first fo:block of a bill

              3. Assign id="bottom-id" to the last fo:block of a bill

              4. Specify page-number as

              page <fo:page-number> of <fo:page-number-citation ref-id="bottom-id"
              axf:origin-id="top-id"/>

              The formatted result should be:

              page x of 3

              You may request and download evaluation version of
              XSL Formatter from here:

              http://www.antennahouse.com/

              Best regards,

              Tokushige Kobayashi

              --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "jromark" <jorgen.romark@s...> wrote:
              > Problem:
              > My pdf document (65 pages) contain 20 bills. Most bills goes over
              > several pages. Each bill should be pagenumbered "page x of y pages"
              > where y is the number of pages in that specific bill (not the
              number
              > of pages in the pdf document).
              >
              > Example:
              > invoice.pdf{
              > Bill_1 "page x of 3"
              > Bill_2 "page x of 2"
              > Bill_3 "page x of 7"
              > }
              >
              > Regards,
              > Jørgen Romark

              E-mail koba@...
              WWW http://www.antenna.co.jp/XML/ (Japanese)
              WWW http://www.antennahouse.com/ (English)
              TEL +81-3-3234-1361 (direct call)
              FAX +81-3-3221-9975
            • Dave Pawson
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 11, 2005
                On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 07:23 +0000, jromark wrote:

                > Problem:
                > My pdf document (65 pages) contain 20 bills. Most bills goes over
                > several pages.

                Assuming your input is XML,
                use XSLT features | extension to produce 20 xsl-fo documents,
                each then is a standard way of producing a single output, which
                can then number your pages as you want.

                input => 20 x xsl-fo docs using xslt
                xsl-fo => pdf using xsl-fo formatter.

                HTH DaveP

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 11, 2005
                  At 2005-01-11 07:23 +0000, jromark wrote:
                  >Problem:
                  >My pdf document (65 pages) contain 20 bills. Most bills goes over
                  >several pages. Each bill should be pagenumbered "page x of y pages"
                  >where y is the number of pages in that specific bill (not the number
                  >of pages in the pdf document).
                  >
                  >Example:
                  >invoice.pdf{
                  > Bill_1 "page x of 3"
                  > Bill_2 "page x of 2"
                  > Bill_3 "page x of 7"
                  >}

                  Put each of your bills into a separate page sequence so that you can start
                  the page number at 1 for each bill. Flow at the end of each page sequence
                  an empty block with a unique id= value.

                  Then, in your static content you can do a <page-number-citation> to that
                  page sequence's unique value in order to get the bill's total number of pages.

                  I hope this helps.

                • tokukobayashi2002
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 12, 2005
                    I am sorry that I made a mistake.

                    The following comment is not correct.
                    Mr. Ken Holman's comment:
                    6128 Re: Page numbers int multidocument files

                    is correct.

                    Tokushige Kobayashi

                    E-mail koba@a...