Apache FOP and SVG word spacing

  • brzn99
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2005
      I am using apache fop to generate SVG for printing on a kiosk. When i
      have a line of text like "These words should print with spacing
      between them", i get the following "Thesewords shouldprintwith
      spacingbetween them'. When i look at the svg source, the apache fop
      transformer is giving each word an (x,y) coordinate. This is resulting
      in overlapping of the words when the SVG document is viewed and printed.

      Is there anyway around this? Can you tell the processor to keep the
      white space between the words?

      Thanks,

      Bill Rosenberg
    • J.Pietschmann
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 6, 2005
        brzn99 wrote:

        > I am using apache fop to generate SVG for printing on a kiosk. When i
        > have a line of text like "These words should print with spacing
        > between them", i get the following "Thesewords shouldprintwith
        > spacingbetween them'. When i look at the svg source, the apache fop
        > transformer is giving each word an (x,y) coordinate. This is resulting
        > in overlapping of the words when the SVG document is viewed and printed.
        >
        > Is there anyway around this? Can you tell the processor to keep the
        > white space between the words?

        Not really.
        This seems to be a problem with either kerning or the font metric.
        Are you using a user font? If not, try using a font from the machine
        which ultimately displays the SVG.

        J.Pietschmann