Re: [XSL-FO] How to create a border for table row

  • Michael Sulyaev
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 15, 2004
      Hello Ranjan,

      RKB> Can anybody suggest me how to add a border to a table
      RKB> row not for table cell?
      RKB> I am using:
      RKB> <fo:table-row border="1pt solid black">
      RKB>                   ----
      RKB>             </fo:table-row>

      This is the right way to do it. Consider that if table-cells inside
      this row (or cells or rows next to this row) have
      border-style="hidden" and borders collapse, than there
      should be no border shown.

      --
      Best regards,
      Michael mailto:msulyaev@...
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 15, 2004
        Michael,
        My stylesheet does not have any
        border-style="hidden". The otherthing you have pointed
        is the "borders collapse". How I can I know that
        borders are collapsed.
        When I am using <fo:table-cell font-weight="bold"
        text-align="left" border="1pt solid black">, I can see
        the border but why the samething is not happening with

        --- Michael Sulyaev <msulyaev@...> wrote:

        > Hello Ranjan,
        >
        > Wednesday, December 15, 2004, 1:01:38 PM, you wrote:
        >
        > RKB> Can anybody suggest me how to add a border to a
        > table
        > RKB> row not for table cell?
        > RKB> I am using:
        > RKB> <fo:table-row border="1pt solid black">
        > RKB> ----
        > RKB> </fo:table-row>
        >
        > This is the right way to do it. Consider that if
        > table-cells inside
        > this row (or cells or rows next to this row) have
        > border-style="hidden" and borders collapse, than
        > there
        > should be no border shown.
        >
        > RKB> But I cannot see border.
        >
        > RKB> regards,
        > RKB> Ranjan
        > --
        > Best regards,
        > Michael
        > mailto:msulyaev@...

        > --------------------~-->
        > Toolbar.

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/9rHolB/TM

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Victor Vishnyakov
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 15, 2004
          You are doing right. I've tested table row borders support on my favorite
          four formatters and noticed that only Altsoft Xml2PDF and Antenna House XSL
          Formatter supports this feature. Both Apache FOP and RenderX XEP ignore
          them.

          Which formatter are you using?

          Best Regards,
          Victor Vishnyakov

        • Ranjan K. Baisak
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 15, 2004
            Michael,
            I am using Apache FOP.
            So is there any otherway to add a border to a table
            row in Apche FOP.

            regards,
            Ranjan
            --- Victor Vishnyakov <tch_@...> wrote:

            > You are doing right. I've tested table row borders
            > support on my favorite
            > four formatters and noticed that only Altsoft
            > Xml2PDF and Antenna House XSL
            > Formatter supports this feature. Both Apache FOP and
            > RenderX XEP ignore
            > them.
            >
            > Which formatter are you using?
            >

            > Best Regards,
            > Victor Vishnyakov

            http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
          • Michael Sulyaev
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 15, 2004
              Hello Victor,

              VV> You are doing right. I've tested table row borders support on my favorite
              VV> four formatters and noticed that only Altsoft Xml2PDF and Antenna House XSL
              VV> Formatter supports this feature. Both Apache FOP and RenderX XEP ignore
              VV> them.

              Let me correct you: XEP supports borders on rows . The following FO
              code produces the expected result with RenderX XEP 4.0 or higher:

              <fo:table>
              <fo:table-body>
              <fo:table-row border="1pt solid black">
              <fo:table-cell padding="6pt"><fo:block>text</fo:block></fo:table-cell>
              <fo:table-cell padding="6pt"><fo:block>text</fo:block></fo:table-cell>
              </fo:table-row>
              </fo:table-body>
              <fo:table-body>
              <fo:table-row border="1pt solid red">
              <fo:table-cell padding="6pt"><fo:block>text</fo:block></fo:table-cell>
              <fo:table-cell padding="6pt"><fo:block>text</fo:block></fo:table-cell>
              </fo:table-row>
              </fo:table-body>
              <fo:table-body>
              <fo:table-row border="1pt solid green">
              <fo:table-cell padding="6pt"><fo:block>text</fo:block></fo:table-cell>
              <fo:table-cell padding="6pt"><fo:block>text</fo:block></fo:table-cell>
              </fo:table-row>
              </fo:table-body>
              </fo:table>

              By the way, borders are also allowed on row-groups: table-header,
              table-body(s) and table-footer.

              --
              Best regards,
              Michael mailto:msulyaev@...
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 15, 2004
                Ranjan K. Baisak wrote:

                > Michael,
                > I am using Apache FOP.
                > So is there any otherway to add a border to a table
                > row in Apche FOP.

                Note that you are using shortcuts, which not all processors support.

                The safest way is to explicitly set each border property, e.g.

                border-before-width="1pt"
                border-before-color="black"
                border-before-style="solid"

                Cheers,

                Eliot
                --
                W. Eliot Kimber
                Professional Services

                eliot@...
                www.innodata-isogen.com
              • Victor Vishnyakov
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 15, 2004
                  I have uploaded my test file and all four formatter results at:
                  http://xslfo-zone.com/temp/table-rows-border.fo
                  http://xslfo-zone.com/temp/table-rows-border.fo.xep.pdf
                  http://xslfo-zone.com/temp/table-rows-border.fo.fop.pdf
                  http://xslfo-zone.com/temp/table-rows-border.fo.xslf.pdf
                  http://xslfo-zone.com/temp/table-rows-border.fo.xml2pdf.pdf

                  Note that XEP output didn't draw table row borders. Am I misunderstand
                  specification or XEP doesn't support table-row borders?

                  Best Regards,
                  Victor Vishnyakov

                • CHRISTIE HOLLIS
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 15, 2004
                    I had a similar issue using Treebeard. I have no idea what my group will use
                    once it is all said & done. In order to get borders on a table row, I had to
                    modify each cell in the row by modifying the cells border-start-style,
                    border-before-style, border-end-style, & border-after-style's appropriately.

                    Christie

                  • Curtis Fisher
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 15, 2004
                      One method is to build attribute sets for your objects to use. At
                      least when you find something that works then you can alter it in a
                      single location and it will propagate throughout your stylesheet...

                      I am doing the following for mu tables with FOP and it is working:

                      <xsl:for-each select="cell">
                      <fo:table-cell xsl:use-attribute-sets="TableCell">
                      <fo:block white-space-collapse="true" color="#000000">
                      <xsl:value-of select="value"/>
                      </fo:block>
                      </fo:table-cell>

                      My attribute sets are in a separate file which is imported and this
                      particular set looks like this:
                      <xsl:attribute-set name="TableCell">
                      <xsl:attribute name="text-align">start</xsl:attribute>
                      <xsl:attribute name="display-align">before</xsl:attribute>
                      <xsl:attribute name="padding-bottom">3.0pt</xsl:attribute>
                      <xsl:attribute name="padding-top">3.0pt</xsl:attribute>
                      <xsl:attribute name="padding-left">3.0pt</xsl:attribute>
                      <xsl:attribute name="padding-right">3.0pt</xsl:attribute>
                      <xsl:attribute name="border">0.5pt</xsl:attribute>
                      <xsl:attribute name="border-style">solid</xsl:attribute>
                      <xsl:attribute name="border-color">black</xsl:attribute>
                      </xsl:attribute-set>

                      --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "CHRISTIE HOLLIS"

                    • Michael Sulyaev
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 15, 2004
                        Hello Victor,

                        VV> I have uploaded my test file and all four formatter results at:
                        VV> http://xslfo-zone.com/temp/table-rows-border.fo
                        VV> http://xslfo-zone.com/temp/table-rows-border.fo.xep.pdf
                        VV> http://xslfo-zone.com/temp/table-rows-border.fo.fop.pdf
                        VV> http://xslfo-zone.com/temp/table-rows-border.fo.xslf.pdf
                        VV> http://xslfo-zone.com/temp/table-rows-border.fo.xml2pdf.pdf
                        VV> Note that XEP output didn't draw table row borders. Am I misunderstand
                        VV> specification or XEP doesn't support table-row borders?

                        table-rows-border.fo.xep.pdf is produced by XEP 3.7.4,
                        which is about a year old. Please don't consider this as an ad, but
                        why do not you try the recent one?

                        --
                        Best regards,
                        Michael mailto:msulyaev@...