Re: [XSL-FO] Background-image challenge

  • C. Myers
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 3, 2004
      You didn't understand my issue. If you are interestes, you can read my posting again. Thanks for the reply.

      "W. Eliot Kimber" <ekimber@...> wrote:C. Myers wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I have been challenged by the following, I need to publish blocks of
      > text that required the left part of the text in yellow background
      > color, and the right part of the text is in gray background color.

      You can set the background color on fo:inline or fo:block, which will
      set the background color for the text.

      <fo:block background-color="yellow">This is yellow</fo:block>

      Cheers,

      Eliot
      --
      W. Eliot Kimber
      Professional Services

      eliot@...
      www.innodata-isogen.com

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • W. Eliot Kimber
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 3, 2004
        C. Myers wrote:

        > You didn't understand my issue. If you are interestes, you can read
        > my posting again. Thanks for the reply.
        >
        > "W. Eliot Kimber" <ekimber@...> wrote:C. Myers wrote:
        >

        >> Hi,
        >>
        >> I have been challenged by the following, I need to publish blocks
        >> of text that required the left part of the text in yellow
        >> background color, and the right part of the text is in gray
        >> background color.

        Then I don't understand your problem. If you know which part is "left"
        and which part is "right" then you know enough to wrap the data in the
        appropriate FOs in order to set the background color.

        If you just want static colors in the background of the blocks there's
        several ways to do that, the easiest being to have nested block
        containers, two for the left/right background colors and then another
        block container positioned on top of the ones underneath to hold the
        text itself.

        But to really suggest a solution we'd have to see a sample of the
        desired rendered result and the input data that would populate it.

        Cheers,

        Eliot
        --
        W. Eliot Kimber
        Professional Services

        eliot@...
        www.innodata-isogen.com
      • Victor Vishnyakov
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 5, 2004
          In HTML make-up there is a trick when as a background was used 1px height
          and 1000px width gif with Xpx of the required color and (1000-X)px of the
          transparent color. Thus a part of the background was painted with a color
          while remained part wasn't. This trick might be useful in your case.

          Best Regards,
          Victor Vishnyakov

        • C. Myers
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 6, 2004
            Thanks for your reply. The problem is that I don't know which text belongs to the left or right. I created a word file attached, hopefully I stated this issue more clear than before. Thanks again for your time.

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 6, 2004
              C. Myers wrote:
              > Thanks for your reply. The problem is that I don't know which text
              > belongs to the left or right. I created a word file attached,
              > hopefully I stated this issue more clear than before. Thanks again
              > for your time.

              The attachment didn't survive.

              But I'm not sure I understand your issue.

              Either you know which text belongs two which language, in which case you
              can control where on the page it goes (e.g., using a table or
              list-block) or you simply want different background colors for each half
              of the page, in which case you can use any number of techniques.

              But if you don't know which text belongs to which language then I'm
              having a hard time seeing you'll ensure that the right language's text
              is given the appropriate background color.

              Cheers,

              E.
              --
              W. Eliot Kimber
              Professional Services

              eliot@...
              www.innodata-isogen.com
            • C. Myers
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 6, 2004
                <fo:table-cell>

                <fo:block>Other properties can be found in section 10. The number 1 should exist in the section 5.</fo:block>

                </fo:table-cell>

                How should I modify the above style in order to obtain the following desired rendered result? Imagine this block has been split into two parts vertically, the left half is in yellow background color, and the right is in gray. Thanks.

                Other properties can be found in

                section 10. The number 1 should

                exist in the section 5.

                P.S. The gray color should go always to the end of each line (rectangle), I just don�t know how to create that in the word.

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 6, 2004
                  C. Myers wrote:

                  > <fo:table-cell>
                  >
                  > <fo:block>Other properties can be found in section 10. The number 1
                  > should exist in the section 5.</fo:block>
                  >
                  > </fo:table-cell>
                  >

                  > How should I modify the above style in order to obtain the following
                  > desired rendered result? Imagine this block has been split into two
                  > parts vertically, the left half is in yellow background color, and
                  > the right is in gray. Thanks.
                  >

                  > Other properties can be found in
                  >
                  > section 10. The number 1 should
                  >
                  > exist in the section 5.

                  Still can't understand exactly what you're trying to do--if there was
                  HTML formatting I only view mail as plain text. Can you do a pure text
                  representation of what you're trying to achieve?

                  Note that the question isn't what to do with the FO's, but what FOs to
                  put the original data into (unless the original data is itself XSL-FO,
                  which seems unlikely.

                  That is, if you're asking how to modify existing FO elements, you've
                  gone too far forward. The question is what to do *when generating the FO
                  elements* in order to get the effect you need.

                  Cheers,

                  Eliot
                  --
                  W. Eliot Kimber
                  Professional Services

                  eliot@...
                  www.innodata-isogen.com
                • C. Myers
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 6, 2004
                    Thanks for your hint of using nested block-container. I got it solved.
                    -- Ching

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 6, 2004

                      I need to use the column-width as a base variable to derive another value dynamically, I tried to use the function of "from-table-column()", it didn't work. Could someone give me a hint? Please refer to the following codes, thanks.

                      <fo:table space-before.optimum="3pt">

                      <fo:table-column column-width="proportional-column-width(2.5)"/>

                      <fo:table-column column-width="proportional-column-width(3.5)"/>

                      <fo:table-column column-width="proportional-column-width(20)"/>

                      <fo:table-body>

                      <fo:table-row>

                      <fo:table-cell>

                      <fo:block><xsl:call-template name="code-left-icons" /></fo:block>

                      </fo:table-cell>

                      <fo:table-cell>

                      <xsl:call-template name="codetemplate" />

                      </fo:table-cell>

                      <fo:table-cell>

                      <xsl:variable name="column-width"><xsl:value-of select="from-table-column(column-width)" /></xsl:variable>

                      <fo:block><xsl:value-of select="$column-width" /></fo:block>

                      <xsl:call-template name="descriptiontemplate" />

                      </fo:table-cell>

                      </fo:table-row>

                      </fo:table-body>

                      </fo:table>