Background-image challenge

  • C. Myers
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 2, 2004
      Hi,

      I have been challenged by the following, I need to publish blocks of text that required the left part of the text in yellow background color, and the right part of the text is in gray background color.

      i.e.

      Original text:

      This is a text, and the text

      color could be red, yellow,

      and yellow.

      After style sheet is applied:

      This is a text, and the text

      color could be red, yellow,

      and yellow.

      Can someone out there provide some clue how to implement this? Thanks,

      -- Ching

    • W. Eliot Kimber
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 2, 2004
        C. Myers wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I have been challenged by the following, I need to publish blocks of
        > text that required the left part of the text in yellow background
        > color, and the right part of the text is in gray background color.

        You can set the background color on fo:inline or fo:block, which will
        set the background color for the text.

        <fo:block background-color="yellow">This is yellow</fo:block>

        Cheers,

        Eliot
        --
        W. Eliot Kimber
        Professional Services

        eliot@...
        www.innodata-isogen.com
      • C. Myers
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 3, 2004
          You didn't understand my issue. If you are interestes, you can read my posting again. Thanks for the reply.

          "W. Eliot Kimber" <ekimber@...> wrote:C. Myers wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I have been challenged by the following, I need to publish blocks of
          > text that required the left part of the text in yellow background
          > color, and the right part of the text is in gray background color.

          You can set the background color on fo:inline or fo:block, which will
          set the background color for the text.

          <fo:block background-color="yellow">This is yellow</fo:block>

          Cheers,

          Eliot
          --
          W. Eliot Kimber
          Professional Services
          Innodata Isogen
          9390 Research Blvd, #410
          Austin, TX 78759
          (512) 372-8122

          eliot@...
          www.innodata-isogen.com

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • W. Eliot Kimber
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 3, 2004
            C. Myers wrote:

            > You didn't understand my issue. If you are interestes, you can read
            > my posting again. Thanks for the reply.
            >
            > "W. Eliot Kimber" <ekimber@...> wrote:C. Myers wrote:
            >

            >> Hi,
            >>
            >> I have been challenged by the following, I need to publish blocks
            >> of text that required the left part of the text in yellow
            >> background color, and the right part of the text is in gray
            >> background color.

            Then I don't understand your problem. If you know which part is "left"
            and which part is "right" then you know enough to wrap the data in the
            appropriate FOs in order to set the background color.

            If you just want static colors in the background of the blocks there's
            several ways to do that, the easiest being to have nested block
            containers, two for the left/right background colors and then another
            block container positioned on top of the ones underneath to hold the
            text itself.

            But to really suggest a solution we'd have to see a sample of the
            desired rendered result and the input data that would populate it.

            Cheers,

            Eliot
            --
            W. Eliot Kimber
            Professional Services

            eliot@...
            www.innodata-isogen.com
          • Victor Vishnyakov
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 5, 2004
              In HTML make-up there is a trick when as a background was used 1px height
              and 1000px width gif with Xpx of the required color and (1000-X)px of the
              transparent color. Thus a part of the background was painted with a color
              while remained part wasn't. This trick might be useful in your case.

              Best Regards,
              Victor Vishnyakov

            • C. Myers
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 6, 2004
                Thanks for your reply. The problem is that I don't know which text belongs to the left or right. I created a word file attached, hopefully I stated this issue more clear than before. Thanks again for your time.

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 6, 2004
                  C. Myers wrote:
                  > Thanks for your reply. The problem is that I don't know which text
                  > belongs to the left or right. I created a word file attached,
                  > hopefully I stated this issue more clear than before. Thanks again
                  > for your time.

                  The attachment didn't survive.

                  But I'm not sure I understand your issue.

                  Either you know which text belongs two which language, in which case you
                  can control where on the page it goes (e.g., using a table or
                  list-block) or you simply want different background colors for each half
                  of the page, in which case you can use any number of techniques.

                  But if you don't know which text belongs to which language then I'm
                  having a hard time seeing you'll ensure that the right language's text
                  is given the appropriate background color.

                  Cheers,

                  E.
                  --
                  W. Eliot Kimber
                  Professional Services

                  eliot@...
                  www.innodata-isogen.com
                • C. Myers
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 6, 2004
                    <fo:table-cell>

                    <fo:block>Other properties can be found in section 10. The number 1 should exist in the section 5.</fo:block>

                    </fo:table-cell>

                    How should I modify the above style in order to obtain the following desired rendered result? Imagine this block has been split into two parts vertically, the left half is in yellow background color, and the right is in gray. Thanks.

                    Other properties can be found in

                    section 10. The number 1 should

                    exist in the section 5.

                    P.S. The gray color should go always to the end of each line (rectangle), I just don�t know how to create that in the word.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 6, 2004
                      C. Myers wrote:

                      > <fo:table-cell>
                      >
                      > <fo:block>Other properties can be found in section 10. The number 1
                      > should exist in the section 5.</fo:block>
                      >
                      > </fo:table-cell>
                      >

                      > How should I modify the above style in order to obtain the following
                      > desired rendered result? Imagine this block has been split into two
                      > parts vertically, the left half is in yellow background color, and
                      > the right is in gray. Thanks.
                      >

                      > Other properties can be found in
                      >
                      > section 10. The number 1 should
                      >
                      > exist in the section 5.

                      Still can't understand exactly what you're trying to do--if there was
                      HTML formatting I only view mail as plain text. Can you do a pure text
                      representation of what you're trying to achieve?

                      Note that the question isn't what to do with the FO's, but what FOs to
                      put the original data into (unless the original data is itself XSL-FO,
                      which seems unlikely.

                      That is, if you're asking how to modify existing FO elements, you've
                      gone too far forward. The question is what to do *when generating the FO
                      elements* in order to get the effect you need.

                      Cheers,

                      Eliot
                      --
                      W. Eliot Kimber
                      Professional Services

                      eliot@...
                      www.innodata-isogen.com
                    • C. Myers
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 6, 2004
                        Thanks for your hint of using nested block-container. I got it solved.
                        -- Ching

                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 6, 2004
                          Hi,

                          I need to use the column-width as a base variable to derive another value dynamically, I tried to use the function of "from-table-column()", it didn't work. Could someone give me a hint? Please refer to the following codes, thanks.

                          <fo:table space-before.optimum="3pt">

                          <fo:table-column column-width="proportional-column-width(2.5)"/>

                          <fo:table-column column-width="proportional-column-width(3.5)"/>

                          <fo:table-column column-width="proportional-column-width(20)"/>

                          <fo:table-body>

                          <fo:table-row>

                          <fo:table-cell>

                          <fo:block><xsl:call-template name="code-left-icons" /></fo:block>

                          </fo:table-cell>

                          <fo:table-cell>

                          <xsl:call-template name="codetemplate" />

                          </fo:table-cell>

                          <fo:table-cell>

                          <xsl:variable name="column-width"><xsl:value-of select="from-table-column(column-width)" /></xsl:variable>

                          <fo:block><xsl:value-of select="$column-width" /></fo:block>

                          <xsl:call-template name="descriptiontemplate" />

                          </fo:table-cell>

                          </fo:table-row>

                          </fo:table-body>

                          </fo:table>