RE: [XSL-FO] Fit text on one page

  • Phillip Cruz
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
      Thanks everyone for the tips but I was wondering if there was a way to have
      maybe a variable font size based on the length of the document.

      For example, if the document was 12pt and fit on one page then nothing
      happens. If it is longer than one page, the font size will change to the
      smallest size font it takes in order to reduce it to only one page. Hope
      that makes sense!

      _____

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
        Phillip Cruz wrote:

        > Thanks everyone for the tips but I was wondering if there was a way to have
        > maybe a variable font size based on the length of the document.
        >
        > For example, if the document was 12pt and fit on one page then nothing
        > happens. If it is longer than one page, the font size will change to the
        > smallest size font it takes in order to reduce it to only one page. Hope
        > that makes sense!

        There is no such facility in XSL-FO. I believe that Antenna House
        provide a "squeeze to fit" extension for overflow that might work--if
        your document needs to be exactly one page long then you can put the
        content in a block-container with explicit block-progression-dimension
        and then use this overflow extension to make it fit.

        Another option is to use a two-pass process--generate the FO instance,
        format the document, if it's longer than one page, have your processor
        change some value or set of value, regenerate, etc. This can be done in
        Java without too much trouble using any of the major FO implementations
        as they all provide appropriate Java APIs.

        Cheers,

        Eliot
        --
        W. Eliot Kimber