RE: [XSL-FO] Fit text on one page

  • Victor Vishnyakov
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
      > > Is there a way to get text that would normally fit on on 1
      > 1/4 pages
      > > all on one page?
      >
      > Normal tricks include: decreasing page margins, line height,
      > and font size.

      Additionally, changing font-family may save you 25% of the page.

      Regards,
      Victor Vishnyakov

    • Nicola Harlow
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
        Look at any images as well; sometimes you can reduce image size
        dramatically without loosing quality.

        Plus, if you can, look at the content of the text. Maybe you can hack a
        few words here and there, it all helps!

        Nicola

        ________________________________

        > > Is there a way to get text that would normally fit on on 1
        > 1/4 pages
        > > all on one page?
        >
        > Normal tricks include: decreasing page margins, line height,
        > and font size.

        Additionally, changing font-family may save you 25% of the page.

        Regards,
        Victor Vishnyakov

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        click here
        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129c3ukmj/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/
        D=groups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1102068878/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*htt
        p:/www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=group
        s/S=:HM/A=2434971/rand=154888096>

      • Phillip Cruz
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
          Thanks everyone for the tips but I was wondering if there was a way to have
          maybe a variable font size based on the length of the document.

          For example, if the document was 12pt and fit on one page then nothing
          happens. If it is longer than one page, the font size will change to the
          smallest size font it takes in order to reduce it to only one page. Hope
          that makes sense!

          _____

          Phillip Cruz wrote:

          > Is there a way to get text that would normally fit on on 1 1/4 pages all
          on
          > one page?

          Normal tricks include: decreasing page margins, line height, and font size.

          <snip/>

          Chris

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • W. Eliot Kimber
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
            Phillip Cruz wrote:

            > Thanks everyone for the tips but I was wondering if there was a way to have
            > maybe a variable font size based on the length of the document.
            >
            > For example, if the document was 12pt and fit on one page then nothing
            > happens. If it is longer than one page, the font size will change to the
            > smallest size font it takes in order to reduce it to only one page. Hope
            > that makes sense!

            There is no such facility in XSL-FO. I believe that Antenna House
            provide a "squeeze to fit" extension for overflow that might work--if
            your document needs to be exactly one page long then you can put the
            content in a block-container with explicit block-progression-dimension
            and then use this overflow extension to make it fit.

            Another option is to use a two-pass process--generate the FO instance,
            format the document, if it's longer than one page, have your processor
            change some value or set of value, regenerate, etc. This can be done in
            Java without too much trouble using any of the major FO implementations
            as they all provide appropriate Java APIs.

            Cheers,

            Eliot
            --
            W. Eliot Kimber