Re: [XSL-FO] Fit text on one page

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
      Phillip Cruz wrote:

      > Is there a way to get text that would normally fit on on 1 1/4 pages all on
      > one page?

      Normal tricks include: decreasing page margins, line height, and font size.

      <snip/>

      Chris
    • Victor Vishnyakov
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
        > > Is there a way to get text that would normally fit on on 1
        > 1/4 pages
        > > all on one page?
        >
        > Normal tricks include: decreasing page margins, line height,
        > and font size.

        Additionally, changing font-family may save you 25% of the page.

        Regards,
        Victor Vishnyakov

      • Nicola Harlow
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
          Look at any images as well; sometimes you can reduce image size
          dramatically without loosing quality.

          Plus, if you can, look at the content of the text. Maybe you can hack a
          few words here and there, it all helps!

          Nicola

          ________________________________

          > > Is there a way to get text that would normally fit on on 1
          > 1/4 pages
          > > all on one page?
          >
          > Normal tricks include: decreasing page margins, line height,
          > and font size.

          Additionally, changing font-family may save you 25% of the page.

          Regards,
          Victor Vishnyakov

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          click here
          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129c3ukmj/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/
          D=groups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1102068878/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*htt
          p:/www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=group
          s/S=:HM/A=2434971/rand=154888096>

        • Phillip Cruz
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
            Thanks everyone for the tips but I was wondering if there was a way to have
            maybe a variable font size based on the length of the document.

            For example, if the document was 12pt and fit on one page then nothing
            happens. If it is longer than one page, the font size will change to the
            smallest size font it takes in order to reduce it to only one page. Hope
            that makes sense!

            _____

            Phillip Cruz wrote:

            > Is there a way to get text that would normally fit on on 1 1/4 pages all
            on
            > one page?

            Normal tricks include: decreasing page margins, line height, and font size.

            <snip/>

            Chris

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • W. Eliot Kimber
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
              Phillip Cruz wrote:

              > Thanks everyone for the tips but I was wondering if there was a way to have
              > maybe a variable font size based on the length of the document.
              >
              > For example, if the document was 12pt and fit on one page then nothing
              > happens. If it is longer than one page, the font size will change to the
              > smallest size font it takes in order to reduce it to only one page. Hope
              > that makes sense!

              There is no such facility in XSL-FO. I believe that Antenna House
              provide a "squeeze to fit" extension for overflow that might work--if
              your document needs to be exactly one page long then you can put the
              content in a block-container with explicit block-progression-dimension
              and then use this overflow extension to make it fit.

              Another option is to use a two-pass process--generate the FO instance,
              format the document, if it's longer than one page, have your processor
              change some value or set of value, regenerate, etc. This can be done in
              Java without too much trouble using any of the major FO implementations
              as they all provide appropriate Java APIs.

              Cheers,

              Eliot
              --
              W. Eliot Kimber