Fit text on one page

  • Phillip Cruz
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2004
      Is there a way to get text that would normally fit on on 1 1/4 pages all on
      one page?

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
        Phillip Cruz wrote:

        > Is there a way to get text that would normally fit on on 1 1/4 pages all on
        > one page?

        Normal tricks include: decreasing page margins, line height, and font size.

        <snip/>

        Chris
      • Victor Vishnyakov
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
          > > Is there a way to get text that would normally fit on on 1
          > 1/4 pages
          > > all on one page?
          >
          > Normal tricks include: decreasing page margins, line height,
          > and font size.

          Additionally, changing font-family may save you 25% of the page.

          Regards,
          Victor Vishnyakov

        • Nicola Harlow
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
            Look at any images as well; sometimes you can reduce image size
            dramatically without loosing quality.

            Plus, if you can, look at the content of the text. Maybe you can hack a
            few words here and there, it all helps!

            Nicola

            ________________________________

            > > Is there a way to get text that would normally fit on on 1
            > 1/4 pages
            > > all on one page?
            >
            > Normal tricks include: decreasing page margins, line height,
            > and font size.

            Additionally, changing font-family may save you 25% of the page.

            Regards,
            Victor Vishnyakov

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            click here
            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129c3ukmj/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/
            D=groups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1102068878/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*htt
            p:/www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400>

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=group
            s/S=:HM/A=2434971/rand=154888096>

          • Phillip Cruz
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
              Thanks everyone for the tips but I was wondering if there was a way to have
              maybe a variable font size based on the length of the document.

              For example, if the document was 12pt and fit on one page then nothing
              happens. If it is longer than one page, the font size will change to the
              smallest size font it takes in order to reduce it to only one page. Hope
              that makes sense!

              _____

              Phillip Cruz wrote:

              > Is there a way to get text that would normally fit on on 1 1/4 pages all
              on
              > one page?

              Normal tricks include: decreasing page margins, line height, and font size.

              <snip/>

              Chris

              _____

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            • W. Eliot Kimber
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
                Phillip Cruz wrote:

                > Thanks everyone for the tips but I was wondering if there was a way to have
                > maybe a variable font size based on the length of the document.
                >
                > For example, if the document was 12pt and fit on one page then nothing
                > happens. If it is longer than one page, the font size will change to the
                > smallest size font it takes in order to reduce it to only one page. Hope
                > that makes sense!

                There is no such facility in XSL-FO. I believe that Antenna House
                provide a "squeeze to fit" extension for overflow that might work--if
                your document needs to be exactly one page long then you can put the
                content in a block-container with explicit block-progression-dimension
                and then use this overflow extension to make it fit.

                Another option is to use a two-pass process--generate the FO instance,
                format the document, if it's longer than one page, have your processor
                change some value or set of value, regenerate, etc. This can be done in
                Java without too much trouble using any of the major FO implementations
                as they all provide appropriate Java APIs.

                Cheers,

                Eliot
                --
                W. Eliot Kimber