Margins for fo:blocks

  • martinezn70
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 29, 2004
      Hi all,

      I have a table that is about 8"(H) by 5.5"(W) in the middle of my
      page in the <fo:flow flow-name="body">. Now there is only one cell
      in this table and inside of it I have content that fills the whole
      cell and so on for several pages. I was able to create margins by
      using the indent-start, indent-end and space-before attributes of
      the fo:block which is inside the cell. So here are my question:

      1. how do I go about creating a margin for the bottom? I need the
      text to fill the table cell but with a margin of 0.5" all around the
      text.

      2. how do I go about getting the same margins on every page, the top
      margin only works on the first page. The left and right margins are
      fine on every page. And so far I don't have a bottom margin.

      Idealy, what I need is to have this table show on every page the
      same size with the fo:block inside of it and all its margins active
      on every page.

      I thank all in advance for any help they can provide.

      -NM
    • J.Pietschmann
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 29, 2004
        martinezn70 wrote:

        > I have a table that is about 8"(H) by 5.5"(W) in the middle of my
        > page in the <fo:flow flow-name="body">. Now there is only one cell
        > in this table and inside of it I have content that fills the whole
        > cell and so on for several pages. I was able to create margins by
        > using the indent-start, indent-end and space-before attributes of
        > the fo:block which is inside the cell. So here are my question:
        >
        > 1. how do I go about creating a margin for the bottom?

        Using space-after? Or, even more convenint, use padding on
        the block or the table cell.

        > 2. how do I go about getting the same margins on every page, the top
        > margin only works on the first page.

        Note that there is no "margin" on the second and further pages,
        because no new block starts there.
        You can fake a space by using a repeated table header contaning
        only that space (and a table footer for the bottom).

        J.Pietschmann
      • Ganesh Babu Nallamothu, Integra-India
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 31, 2004
          Dear All,

          I am giving XML, XSL and FO output. Actually all the rules of FO has to be
          applied to the FO output. But it is not happening. Can any body let me know
          what is the reason behind this. If the <!DOCTYPE> line is commented/ instead
          of <xsl:template match="content"> if we use <xsl:template match="/"> then
          only the rules are applied. But I want along with DOCTYPE as my entities are
          in separate set of files. If we use "/" also the rules are not applying for
          other templates.

          Please help me. Here are my code samples.

          XML

          ====

          <!DOCTYPE content SYSTEM "content.dtd">

          <content xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
          xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format" id="pie-c01-000-001">

          <piece role="chapter">

          <heading>Banking on panic <span role="subtitle">The historical record and a
          theoretical frame</span></heading>

          </piece>

          </content>

          XSL

          ===

          <?xml version="1.0"?>

          xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format"

          version="1.0">

          <xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes"/>

          <xsl:template match="content">

          <fo:root>

          <fo:layout-master-set>

          <fo:simple-page-master master-name="simple" page-height="29cm"
          page-width="21cm" margin-top="1.5cm" margin-bottom="1.5cm" margin-left="2cm"
          margin-right="2cm">

          <fo:region-body margin-top="1.5cm"/>

          <fo:region-before extent="1.5cm"/>

          <fo:region-after extent="1.5cm"/>

          </fo:simple-page-master>

          </fo:layout-master-set>

          <fo:page-sequence master-reference="simple">

          <fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-region-after">

          <fo:block text-align="end">

          p. <fo:page-number/>

          </fo:block>

          </fo:static-content>

          <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">

          <fo:block>

          <xsl:apply-templates/>

          </fo:block>

          </fo:flow>

          </fo:page-sequence>

          </fo:root>

          </xsl:template>

          <xsl:template match="piece/heading">

          <fo:block font-size="18pt" text-align="center" font-weight="bold"
          space-after="0.5cm">

          <xsl:apply-templates/>

          </fo:block>

          </xsl:template>

          </xsl:stylesheet>

          FO

          <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

          Banking on panic The historical record and a theoretical frame

        • W. Hugh Chatfield
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
            It would appear that you do not have any template stating what you
            want to do with the text inside the element <span>.. hence the
            apply-templates inside the heading template will cause the default
            template to trigger when <span> is encountered - moving the text only,
            to your result tree.

            Try adding a template matching on <span>

            Cheers.. Hugh

            CyberSpace Industries 2000 Inc.
            XML Training and Consulting
            http://www.urbanmarket.com/csi2000

            Visit Historic Perth Ontario @ http://www.all-about-perth.com

            --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, "Ganesh Babu Nallamothu, Integra-India"

            --------------------------

            --------------------------

            > FO
            >
            > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
            >
            > Banking on panic The historical record and a theoretical frame

          • Christian Loock
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
              [WARNING] Sum of fixed column widths 491000 greater
              than maximum specified IPD 255000

              what does this error mean?

              Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 100MB Speicher kostenlos - Hier anmelden: http://mail.yahoo.de
            • J.Pietschmann
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
                Christian Loock wrote:
                > [WARNING] Sum of fixed column widths 491000 greater
                > than maximum specified IPD 255000
                >
                > what does this error mean?

                It means the sum of the column widths is greater than
                the possible or specified table width. Usually, your
                table will overflow horizontally.
                Check the column widths.

                J.Pietschmann
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 3, 2004
                  Christian Loock wrote:

                  > [WARNING] Sum of fixed column widths 491000 greater
                  > than maximum specified IPD 255000
                  >
                  > what does this error mean?

                  This means you have a table whose width value is less than the total of the
                  widths specified on the columns, e.g.

                  <fo:table width="10cm">
                  <fo:table-column column-width="8cm"/>
                  <fo:table-column column-width="8cm"/>
                  <fo:table-body>
                  ..
                  </fo:table-body>
                  </fo:table>

                  Chris
                • Christian Loock
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
                    Thx mates, that worked out

                    --- Chris Bowditch <bowditch_chris@...>
                    schrieb:

                    ---------------------------------
                    Christian Loock wrote:

                    > [WARNING] Sum of fixed column widths 491000 greater
                    > than maximum specified IPD 255000
                    >
                    > what does this error mean?

                    This means you have a table whose width value is less
                    than the total of the
                    widths specified on the columns, e.g.

                    <fo:table width="10cm">
                    <fo:table-column column-width="8cm"/>