Re: Image scaling

  • smckenzie23
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 6, 2004
      So I tried that and it is still not quite working for me. It will keep
      large images within a certain size, but small images are getting
      expanded to as large as they can. So just to double check:

      <fo:block-container>
      <fo:block>
      <fo:external-graphic
      width="100%"
      content-width="scale-to-fit"
      scaling="uniform"
      content-height="100%"
      src="url(./Local/Graphics/Foo.jpg)"/>
      </fo:block>
      </fo:block-container>

      Works great for keeping a large image small within the page, but small
      images expand.

      I'm going to mess around with doing this in conjunction with
      inline-progression-dimension, but I'm just grasping at straws & doing
      trial and error at this point. Any tips would be appreciated.

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 6, 2004
        At 2004-10-06 21:14 +0000, smckenzie23 wrote:
        >So I tried that and it is still not quite working for me.

        Hmmmmmmmm ... you don't mention which formatter you are using ... I wonder
        if that is the problem.

        >It will keep
        >large images within a certain size, but small images are getting
        >expanded to as large as they can. So just to double check:
        >
        ><fo:block-container>
        > <fo:block>
        > <fo:external-graphic
        > width="100%"
        > content-width="scale-to-fit"
        > scaling="uniform"
        > content-height="100%"
        > src="url(./Local/Graphics/Foo.jpg)"/>
        > </fo:block>
        ></fo:block-container>

        Yep! I tested those before making my post. To be sure, I selectively
        removed one of the four at a time and I never got the desired result.

        >Works great for keeping a large image small within the page, but small
        >images expand.

        I did get that when I removed content-height="100%" ... I needed that to
        limit the small image to the small size ... without it the image expanded
        to 100% of the width.

        >I'm going to mess around with doing this in conjunction with
        >inline-progression-dimension, but I'm just grasping at straws & doing
        >trial and error at this point. Any tips would be appreciated.

        I suggest you download the free evaluation versions of either Antenna House
        or RenderX and test your fragment with those. I got identical desired
        results with both packages using the properties that you've tried above.

        I didn't try with any other engines. If it works with those two but not
        with the engine you are using, then I've run out of suggestions.

        I hope this helps.

        ...................... Ken

        --
        Upcoming publicly-subscribed XSL delivery: Helsinki Oct 18-20,2004
      • Shawn McKenzie
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 6, 2004
          > Hmmmmmmmm ... you don't mention which formatter you are using ... I wonder
          > if that is the problem.

          Using Antenna House 3.1 MR2. I'll keep testing once I fix an unrelated problem.

          Thanks.
        • W. Eliot Kimber
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 6, 2004
            smckenzie23 wrote:

            > So I tried that and it is still not quite working for me. It will keep
            > large images within a certain size, but small images are getting
            > expanded to as large as they can. So just to double check:

            In FO 1.0 image scaling is unconditional, meaning that if you request
            scale to fit, it always scales, up or down.

            In FO 1.1, as currently drafted, scaling is more sophisticated and
            flexible, so you can request to only scale down if necessary.

            Cheers,

            Eliot
            --
            W. Eliot Kimber
            Professional Services

            eliot@...
            www.innodata-isogen.com
          • Tomoko Mayumi
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 7, 2004
              Hi,

              > Works great for keeping a large image small within the page, but small
              > images expand.
              We released XSL Formatter V3.1 MR5. In this version, XSL Formatter changed the
              behavior of scaling="uniform". When scaling-uniform="uniform" is set and the
              value is set to both content-width and content-height, the small image is not
              expanded. The aspect ratio is kept(smaller length is based). Could you please
              download the latest version? I hope that you see the expected result.

              Thank you.

              Tomoko Mayumi
              XSL Group
              Antenna House, Inc.