change bars

  • Norma Yeazell
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 14, 2004
      I've searched the archive but have been unable to find a way to do
      change bars, can someone point me in the right direction? There was
      something that pointed to a web page that evidently no longer exists.

      For instance a sentence may have <change> this is the change information
      </change> and should be marked by a line in the outer margin wherever it
      falls.

      I have this in a wrapper since it falls in the middle of info sometimes,
      and it appears borders will only work with blocks.

      <xsl:template match="change">
      <fo:wrapper>
      <xsl:apply-templates/>
      </fo:wrapper>
      </xsl:template>

      Sincerely,
      Norma Yeazell
      Information Engineer

      Confidentiality Notice
      The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and intended for use only by the person(s) or organization listed in the address. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender at O'Neil & Associates, Inc., immediately. Any copying, dissemination, or distribution of this communication, other than by the intended recipient, is strictly prohibited.
    • W. Eliot Kimber
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 14, 2004
        Norma Yeazell wrote:

        > I've searched the archive but have been unable to find a way to do
        > change bars, can someone point me in the right direction? There was
        > something that pointed to a web page that evidently no longer exists.

        For XSL-FO 1.0 this can only really be done using proprietary
        extensions, such as the Antenna House and Arbortext change bar
        extensions (RenderX did not have a change bar extension as of version
        3.7.7 but there may be one in 3.8--I haven't had a chance to look).

        The current draft of XSL-FO 1.1 includes support for change bars and I
        would expect that feature to survive into the final recommendation--it's
        widely recognized as a key feature needed by many users

        If you confine your change marking to complete blocks you can produce
        passable change bars by generating a start- or end-side border for the
        block. Unfortunately, there's no general or reliable way to do this for
        arbitrary ranges of text within a block in FO 1.0.

        Cheers,

        E.
        --
        W. Eliot Kimber
        Professional Services

        eliot@...
        www.innodata-isogen.com
      • Norma Yeazell
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 14, 2004
          Thanks for the prompt response!

          > I've searched the archive but have been unable to find a way to do
          > change bars, can someone point me in the right direction? There was
          > something that pointed to a web page that evidently no longer exists.

          For XSL-FO 1.0 this can only really be done using proprietary
          extensions, such as the Antenna House and Arbortext change bar
          extensions (RenderX did not have a change bar extension as of version
          3.7.7 but there may be one in 3.8--I haven't had a chance to look).

          The current draft of XSL-FO 1.1 includes support for change bars and I
          would expect that feature to survive into the final recommendation--it's

          widely recognized as a key feature needed by many users

          If you confine your change marking to complete blocks you can produce
          passable change bars by generating a start- or end-side border for the
          block. Unfortunately, there's no general or reliable way to do this for
          arbitrary ranges of text within a block in FO 1.0.

          Cheers,

          E.
          --
          W. Eliot Kimber