RE: [XSL-FO] Outputting to ASCII text

  • Adams, Kevin
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 10, 2004
      Thanks, Werner,

      I'll give that a try... I appreciate the response.

      _____

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 10, 2004
        Bob,

        Thanks for the response, but it sounds like this is a manual process. Does
        it involve me opening the html in the browser? If not, that be run in some
        sort of script?

        Kevin

        _____

        Some people convert XML to HTML, and then use lynx -dump to capture
        formatted text. lynx is a character-based web browser, and the -dump option
        lets you save to a file.

        Bob Stayton
        Sagehill Enterprises
        DocBook Consulting
        bobs@...

        > I apologize in advance for the newbie question...
        >
        > I'm working on a project to convert XML to regular ASCII text. I'm using
        FOP
        > 0.20.5, but I seem to be having trouble with line spacing and character
        > spacing.
        >
        > I've done some research on the web to try to find some documentation on
        > converting to text, but I can't seem to find anything good. Most of it
        deals
        > with conversion to PDF.
        >
        > Can anyone point me to some detailed examples or some tutorials on
        > converting to text?
        >
        > Unfortunately, it has to be in ASCII text. The position on the page is
        > significant to my application.
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Kevin Adams

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294hrb5i/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
        oups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1094856503/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
        anion.yahoo.com> click here

        :HM/A=2128215/rand=165684725>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Bob Stayton
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 10, 2004
          It is not a manual process of opening a browser. With the -dump option, the
          browser does not open. You can use a command like this in a script or
          Makefile to automate conversion:

          lynx -dump filename.html > filename.txt

          lynx does a pretty good job, but there are also other ascii browsers as
          well. I know that w3m has a dump option too.

          Bob Stayton
          Sagehill Enterprises
          DocBook Consulting
          bobs@...

          > Thanks for the response, but it sounds like this is a manual process. Does
          > it involve me opening the html in the browser? If not, that be run in some
          > sort of script?
          >
          > Kevin
          >
          > _____

        • Adams, Kevin
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 10, 2004
            Thanks, Bob. That just might work a little easier.

            Kevin

            _____

            <http://comp>
            > anion.yahoo.com> click here