Re: [XSL-FO] Outputting to ASCII text

  • Werner Donné
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 10, 2004
      Kevin,

      If the position on the page is important, you can produce XSL-FO with a monospace
      font and use the white-space-treatment property, which gives you some control
      over the formatting.

      Werner.

      --
      Werner Donné -- Re BVBA
      Engelbeekstraat 8
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 10, 2004
        Thanks, Werner,

        I'll give that a try... I appreciate the response.

        _____

        --
        Werner Donné -- Re BVBA
        Engelbeekstraat 8
        B-3300 Tienen
        tel: (+32) 486 425803 e-mail: werner.donne@...

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294krf2o/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=gr
        oups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1094889743/A=2319498/R=0/SIG=11thfntfp/*http://www.
        netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185352&partid=5285298> click here

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=
        :HM/A=2319498/rand=731754370>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Adams, Kevin
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 10, 2004
          Bob,

          Thanks for the response, but it sounds like this is a manual process. Does
          it involve me opening the html in the browser? If not, that be run in some
          sort of script?

          Kevin

          _____

          Some people convert XML to HTML, and then use lynx -dump to capture
          formatted text. lynx is a character-based web browser, and the -dump option
          lets you save to a file.

          Bob Stayton
          Sagehill Enterprises
          DocBook Consulting
          bobs@...

          > I apologize in advance for the newbie question...
          >
          > I'm working on a project to convert XML to regular ASCII text. I'm using
          FOP
          > 0.20.5, but I seem to be having trouble with line spacing and character
          > spacing.
          >
          > I've done some research on the web to try to find some documentation on
          > converting to text, but I can't seem to find anything good. Most of it
          deals
          > with conversion to PDF.
          >
          > Can anyone point me to some detailed examples or some tutorials on
          > converting to text?
          >
          > Unfortunately, it has to be in ASCII text. The position on the page is
          > significant to my application.
          >
          > Thanks in advance,
          >
          > Kevin Adams

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294hrb5i/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
          oups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1094856503/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
          anion.yahoo.com> click here

          :HM/A=2128215/rand=165684725>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Bob Stayton
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 10, 2004
            It is not a manual process of opening a browser. With the -dump option, the
            browser does not open. You can use a command like this in a script or
            Makefile to automate conversion:

            lynx -dump filename.html > filename.txt

            lynx does a pretty good job, but there are also other ascii browsers as
            well. I know that w3m has a dump option too.

            Bob Stayton
            Sagehill Enterprises
            DocBook Consulting
            bobs@...

            > Thanks for the response, but it sounds like this is a manual process. Does
            > it involve me opening the html in the browser? If not, that be run in some
            > sort of script?
            >
            > Kevin
            >
            > _____

          • Adams, Kevin
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 10, 2004
              Thanks, Bob. That just might work a little easier.

              Kevin

              _____

              <http://comp>
              > anion.yahoo.com> click here