RE: [XSL-FO] Outputting to ASCII text

  • Victor Vishnyakov
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 9, 2004
      > I'm working on a project to convert XML to regular ASCII
      > text. I'm using FOP 0.20.5, but I seem to be having trouble
      > with line spacing and character spacing.

      As far as I understand you transform XML to XSL-FO to produce ASCII output.
      Why not transform XML to ASCII text directly. XSL Transformation do not
      bother whether it outputs XML or not.

      Either XSL-FO or mentioned in the thread HTML are not OK for XML to text
      midle-tier due to complicated layout.

      Regards,
      Victor Vishnyakov

    • Werner Donné
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 10, 2004
        Kevin,

        If the position on the page is important, you can produce XSL-FO with a monospace
        font and use the white-space-treatment property, which gives you some control
        over the formatting.

        Werner.

        --
        Werner Donné -- Re BVBA
        Engelbeekstraat 8
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 10, 2004
          Thanks, Werner,

          I'll give that a try... I appreciate the response.

          _____

          --
          Werner Donné -- Re BVBA
          Engelbeekstraat 8
          B-3300 Tienen
          tel: (+32) 486 425803 e-mail: werner.donne@...

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294krf2o/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=gr
          oups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1094889743/A=2319498/R=0/SIG=11thfntfp/*http://www.
          netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185352&partid=5285298> click here

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=
          :HM/A=2319498/rand=731754370>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Adams, Kevin
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 10, 2004
            Bob,

            Thanks for the response, but it sounds like this is a manual process. Does
            it involve me opening the html in the browser? If not, that be run in some
            sort of script?

            Kevin

            _____

            Some people convert XML to HTML, and then use lynx -dump to capture
            formatted text. lynx is a character-based web browser, and the -dump option
            lets you save to a file.

            Bob Stayton
            Sagehill Enterprises
            DocBook Consulting
            bobs@...

            > I apologize in advance for the newbie question...
            >
            > I'm working on a project to convert XML to regular ASCII text. I'm using
            FOP
            > 0.20.5, but I seem to be having trouble with line spacing and character
            > spacing.
            >
            > I've done some research on the web to try to find some documentation on
            > converting to text, but I can't seem to find anything good. Most of it
            deals
            > with conversion to PDF.
            >
            > Can anyone point me to some detailed examples or some tutorials on
            > converting to text?
            >
            > Unfortunately, it has to be in ASCII text. The position on the page is
            > significant to my application.
            >
            > Thanks in advance,
            >
            > Kevin Adams

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294hrb5i/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
            oups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1094856503/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
            anion.yahoo.com> click here

            :HM/A=2128215/rand=165684725>

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • Bob Stayton
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 10, 2004
              It is not a manual process of opening a browser. With the -dump option, the
              browser does not open. You can use a command like this in a script or
              Makefile to automate conversion:

              lynx -dump filename.html > filename.txt

              lynx does a pretty good job, but there are also other ascii browsers as
              well. I know that w3m has a dump option too.

              Bob Stayton
              Sagehill Enterprises
              DocBook Consulting
              bobs@...

              > Thanks for the response, but it sounds like this is a manual process. Does
              > it involve me opening the html in the browser? If not, that be run in some
              > sort of script?
              >
              > Kevin
              >
              > _____

            • Adams, Kevin
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 10, 2004
                Thanks, Bob. That just might work a little easier.

                Kevin

                _____

                <http://comp>
                > anion.yahoo.com> click here