Re: [XSL-FO] Outputting to ASCII text

  • Bob Stayton
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 9, 2004
      Some people convert XML to HTML, and then use lynx -dump to capture
      formatted text. lynx is a character-based web browser, and the -dump option
      lets you save to a file.

      Bob Stayton
      Sagehill Enterprises
      DocBook Consulting
      bobs@...

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 9, 2004
        > I'm working on a project to convert XML to regular ASCII
        > text. I'm using FOP 0.20.5, but I seem to be having trouble
        > with line spacing and character spacing.

        As far as I understand you transform XML to XSL-FO to produce ASCII output.
        Why not transform XML to ASCII text directly. XSL Transformation do not
        bother whether it outputs XML or not.

        Either XSL-FO or mentioned in the thread HTML are not OK for XML to text
        midle-tier due to complicated layout.

        Regards,
        Victor Vishnyakov

      • Werner Donné
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 10, 2004
          Kevin,

          If the position on the page is important, you can produce XSL-FO with a monospace
          font and use the white-space-treatment property, which gives you some control
          over the formatting.

          Werner.

          --
          Werner Donné -- Re BVBA
          Engelbeekstraat 8
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 10, 2004
            Thanks, Werner,

            I'll give that a try... I appreciate the response.

            _____

            --
            Werner Donné -- Re BVBA
            Engelbeekstraat 8
            B-3300 Tienen
            tel: (+32) 486 425803 e-mail: werner.donne@...

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294krf2o/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=gr
            oups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1094889743/A=2319498/R=0/SIG=11thfntfp/*http://www.
            netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185352&partid=5285298> click here

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=
            :HM/A=2319498/rand=731754370>

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • Adams, Kevin
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 10, 2004
              Bob,

              Thanks for the response, but it sounds like this is a manual process. Does
              it involve me opening the html in the browser? If not, that be run in some
              sort of script?

              Kevin

              _____

              > I apologize in advance for the newbie question...
              >
              > I'm working on a project to convert XML to regular ASCII text. I'm using
              FOP
              > 0.20.5, but I seem to be having trouble with line spacing and character
              > spacing.
              >
              > I've done some research on the web to try to find some documentation on
              > converting to text, but I can't seem to find anything good. Most of it
              deals
              > with conversion to PDF.
              >
              > Can anyone point me to some detailed examples or some tutorials on
              > converting to text?
              >
              > Unfortunately, it has to be in ASCII text. The position on the page is
              > significant to my application.
              >
              > Thanks in advance,
              >
              > Kevin Adams

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294hrb5i/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
              oups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1094856503/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
              anion.yahoo.com> click here

              :HM/A=2128215/rand=165684725>

              _____

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 10, 2004
                It is not a manual process of opening a browser. With the -dump option, the
                browser does not open. You can use a command like this in a script or
                Makefile to automate conversion:

                lynx -dump filename.html > filename.txt

                lynx does a pretty good job, but there are also other ascii browsers as
                well. I know that w3m has a dump option too.

                Bob Stayton
                Sagehill Enterprises
                DocBook Consulting
                bobs@...

                > Thanks for the response, but it sounds like this is a manual process. Does
                > it involve me opening the html in the browser? If not, that be run in some
                > sort of script?
                >
                > Kevin
                >
                > _____

              • Adams, Kevin
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 10, 2004
                  Thanks, Bob. That just might work a little easier.

                  Kevin

                  _____

                  <http://comp>
                  > anion.yahoo.com> click here