Outputting to ASCII text

  • Adams, Kevin
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 9, 2004
      I apologize in advance for the newbie question...

      I'm working on a project to convert XML to regular ASCII text. I'm using FOP
      0.20.5, but I seem to be having trouble with line spacing and character
      spacing.

      I've done some research on the web to try to find some documentation on
      converting to text, but I can't seem to find anything good. Most of it deals
      with conversion to PDF.

      Can anyone point me to some detailed examples or some tutorials on
      converting to text?

      Unfortunately, it has to be in ASCII text. The position on the page is
      significant to my application.

      Thanks in advance,

      Kevin Adams

    • Bob Stayton
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 9, 2004
        Some people convert XML to HTML, and then use lynx -dump to capture
        formatted text. lynx is a character-based web browser, and the -dump option
        lets you save to a file.

        Bob Stayton
        Sagehill Enterprises
        DocBook Consulting
        bobs@...

        > I apologize in advance for the newbie question...
        >
        > I'm working on a project to convert XML to regular ASCII text. I'm using
        FOP
        > 0.20.5, but I seem to be having trouble with line spacing and character
        > spacing.
        >
        > I've done some research on the web to try to find some documentation on
        > converting to text, but I can't seem to find anything good. Most of it
        deals
        > with conversion to PDF.
        >
        > Can anyone point me to some detailed examples or some tutorials on
        > converting to text?
        >
        > Unfortunately, it has to be in ASCII text. The position on the page is
        > significant to my application.
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Kevin Adams

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Victor Vishnyakov
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 9, 2004
          > I'm working on a project to convert XML to regular ASCII
          > text. I'm using FOP 0.20.5, but I seem to be having trouble
          > with line spacing and character spacing.

          As far as I understand you transform XML to XSL-FO to produce ASCII output.
          Why not transform XML to ASCII text directly. XSL Transformation do not
          bother whether it outputs XML or not.

          Either XSL-FO or mentioned in the thread HTML are not OK for XML to text
          midle-tier due to complicated layout.

          Regards,
          Victor Vishnyakov

        • Werner Donné
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 10, 2004
            Kevin,

            If the position on the page is important, you can produce XSL-FO with a monospace
            font and use the white-space-treatment property, which gives you some control
            over the formatting.

            Werner.

            --
            Werner Donné -- Re BVBA
            Engelbeekstraat 8
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 10, 2004
              Thanks, Werner,

              I'll give that a try... I appreciate the response.

              _____

              --
              Werner Donné -- Re BVBA
              Engelbeekstraat 8
              B-3300 Tienen
              tel: (+32) 486 425803 e-mail: werner.donne@...

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294krf2o/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=gr
              oups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1094889743/A=2319498/R=0/SIG=11thfntfp/*http://www.
              netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185352&partid=5285298> click here

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=groups/S=
              :HM/A=2319498/rand=731754370>

              _____

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            • Adams, Kevin
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 10, 2004
                Bob,

                Thanks for the response, but it sounds like this is a manual process. Does
                it involve me opening the html in the browser? If not, that be run in some
                sort of script?

                Kevin

                _____

                > I apologize in advance for the newbie question...
                >
                > I'm working on a project to convert XML to regular ASCII text. I'm using
                FOP
                > 0.20.5, but I seem to be having trouble with line spacing and character
                > spacing.
                >
                > I've done some research on the web to try to find some documentation on
                > converting to text, but I can't seem to find anything good. Most of it
                deals
                > with conversion to PDF.
                >
                > Can anyone point me to some detailed examples or some tutorials on
                > converting to text?
                >
                > Unfortunately, it has to be in ASCII text. The position on the page is
                > significant to my application.
                >
                > Thanks in advance,
                >
                > Kevin Adams

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1294hrb5i/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
                oups/S=1705016061:HM/EXP=1094856503/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
                anion.yahoo.com> click here

                :HM/A=2128215/rand=165684725>

                _____

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 10, 2004
                  It is not a manual process of opening a browser. With the -dump option, the
                  browser does not open. You can use a command like this in a script or
                  Makefile to automate conversion:

                  lynx -dump filename.html > filename.txt

                  lynx does a pretty good job, but there are also other ascii browsers as
                  well. I know that w3m has a dump option too.

                  Bob Stayton
                  Sagehill Enterprises
                  DocBook Consulting
                  bobs@...

                  > Thanks for the response, but it sounds like this is a manual process. Does
                  > it involve me opening the html in the browser? If not, that be run in some
                  > sort of script?
                  >
                  > Kevin
                  >
                  > _____

                • Adams, Kevin
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 10, 2004
                    Thanks, Bob. That just might work a little easier.

                    Kevin

                    _____

                    <http://comp>
                    > anion.yahoo.com> click here