Re: [XSL-FO] fo:multi-toogle

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 23 5:44 PM
      My interpretation is that the phrase "allow the user to select" implies
      that the stylesheet writer is delegating the responsibility of setting the
      next state to be whatever the user wants the next state to be, which is
      quite different than stating the next state is a particular state in the
      switch set, on the user interaction with the formatting objects defined by
      the toggle.

      I'm curious why this nuance is important these days ... I've not heard of
      any XSL-FO processor that implements the interactive formatting objects ...
      is there one out there now that I can tell my XSL-FO students about? I
      cover these objects in the curriculum to fulfill our commitment to cover
      all of the formatting objects, but the discussion is quite academic until
      we actually find such a processor available.

      I hope this helps.

      .................... Ken

      At 2004-08-23 19:08 +0200, Carlos Müller de los Reyes wrote:
      >Somebody knows what's the meaning of the value "xsl-any" for the
      >"switch-to" property in the multi-toogle formatting object? The
      >Recommendation says:
      >
      >"Activating the switch should allow the user to select any other
      >fo:multi-case sibling",
      >
      > but I can't understand this, ¿The sibling of the object multi-toogle
      > that the Render will want?

    • Tony Graham
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 24 6:45 AM
        "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@...> wrote at Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:44:51 -0400:
        > My interpretation is that the phrase "allow the user to select" implies
        > that the stylesheet writer is delegating the responsibility of setting the
        > next state to be whatever the user wants the next state to be, which is
        > quite different than stating the next state is a particular state in the
        > switch set, on the user interaction with the formatting objects defined by
        > the toggle.
        >
        > I'm curious why this nuance is important these days ... I've not heard of
        > any XSL-FO processor that implements the interactive formatting objects ...
        > is there one out there now that I can tell my XSL-FO students about? I
        > cover these objects in the curriculum to fulfill our commitment to cover
        > all of the formatting objects, but the discussion is quite academic until
        > we actually find such a processor available.

        I believe that the IBM XSL FO Composer (another of the unsung
        formatters out there) does multi-toggle.

        Remember, the XSL Rec couldn't have got past Candidate Recommendation
        unless it was shown that everything was implemented by somebody.

        Regards,

        Tony Graham
        Web Products, Technologies and Standards Phone: +353 1 8199708
        Sun Microsystems x(70)19708
        East Point Business Park, Dublin 3, Ireland
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 25 12:40 AM
          Tony Graham wrote:

          <snip/>

          > I believe that the IBM XSL FO Composer (another of the unsung
          > formatters out there) does multi-toggle.

          It is unsung because it is Alpha works only, and therefore unsupported. A
          posting I made over a year ago never got a reply. So IBM just seem to have
          abandoned it. If I could see some signs of support/development, we may well
          purchase some licenses.