HTML -> FO transformation

  • pack_jam
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 13, 2004
      hi all,

      i am trying to produce PDF from HTML (itself transformed from source
      XML). apparently FO is one of the ways to accomplish this; however, i
      have had no luck with the HTML->FO transformation.

      i found one IBM XSLT (xhtml-to-xslfo.xsl) which supposedly did this,
      but it frequently produces invalid FO, and plasters its own name
      across the output. if i actually spoke the FO language, i could edit
      it; but i am trying to use it just as a stepping-stone between HTML
      and PDF.

      does anyone have another (better) way to get from HTML to FO? input
      much appreciated.

      best.
      aaron.
    • J.Pietschmann
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 13, 2004
        pack_jam wrote:
        > i am trying to produce PDF from HTML (itself transformed from source
        > XML). apparently FO is one of the ways to accomplish this; however, i
        > have had no luck with the HTML->FO transformation.
        >
        > i found one IBM XSLT (xhtml-to-xslfo.xsl) which supposedly did this,
        > but it frequently produces invalid FO, and plasters its own name
        > across the output. if i actually spoke the FO language, i could edit
        > it; but i am trying to use it just as a stepping-stone between HTML
        > and PDF.
        >
        > does anyone have another (better) way to get from HTML to FO? input
        > much appreciated.

        - There is a HTML2FO project on SourceForge. I you find it useful,
        post a review here.
        - There is an XHTML2FO.xsl out there IIRC by AntennaHouse, which
        should be easily to find by googling or searching the FOP user
        list archive.
        - Learn XSLFO.

        J.Pietschmann
      • Bob Stayton
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 13, 2004
          You didn't say if your solution had to be open source.
          If your goal is PDF, not XSL-FO, then Adobe's Acrobat Standard 6.0 (not
          Reader) can convert HTML to PDF.

          Bob Stayton
          Sagehill Enterprises
          DocBook Consulting
          bobs@...

          > i am trying to produce PDF from HTML (itself transformed from source
          > XML). apparently FO is one of the ways to accomplish this; however, i
          > have had no luck with the HTML->FO transformation.
          >
          > i found one IBM XSLT (xhtml-to-xslfo.xsl) which supposedly did this,
          > but it frequently produces invalid FO, and plasters its own name
          > across the output. if i actually spoke the FO language, i could edit
          > it; but i am trying to use it just as a stepping-stone between HTML
          > and PDF.
          >
          > does anyone have another (better) way to get from HTML to FO? input
          > much appreciated.
          >
          > best.
          > aaron.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Werner DonnĂ©
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 30, 2004
            Hi Aaron,

            I propose CSSToXSLFO (http://www.re.be/css2xslfo) to do this. It is a free
            tool that can convert an XML document, with a CSS style sheet, to XSL-FO.
            It has special provisions for XHTML, such as a UA style sheet, links, etc.

            Regards,

            Werner.
            --
            Werner Donné -- Re BVBA