Re: [XSL-FO] Rare Characters

  • Eliot Kimber
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 19 3:42 PM
      Carlos Müller de los Reyes wrote:

      > Which formatting objects/properties must I use to display rare characters of
      > Unicode? (chinese, etc..) I don't know where I must search initially.

      The only two properties that are critical are font-family= and lang=.
      For right-to-left or top-to-botoom languages you will need to set
      writing-mode=.

      The ability to display characters in different scripts is determined by
      the font you are using and, for some scripts, the ability of your FO
      engine to compose those scripts. There may also be language- or
      locale-specific features that are provided by the FO implementation that
      are extensions to the core FO standard (such as Japanese-specific
      punctuation treatment).

      Thus, to render a given script, such as Arabic, you must specify an
      appropriate font (a font that contains glyphs for the script you are
      rendering), you should specify the lang= attribute so the formatter can
      do appropriate language-specific stuff, if necessary or implemented,
      and, in the case of Arabic, you would specify writing-mode as "rl-tb"
      (right-to-left, top-to-bottom).

      For example, to render Simplified Chinese on a Windows machine:

      <fo:flow lang="zh-CN"
      font-family="SimHei, Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif">
      <fo:block>{some Chinese characters}</fo:block>
      </fo:flow>

      Scripts that tend to be the hardest to implement include Thai and
      Arabic, both of which require context-specific glyph composition in
      order to create correctly formated text. Thai is probably the most
      challenging modern language.

      With Asian ideographic languages, one subtlety is the difference between
      Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, and Japanese forms of the same
      ideograph. That is, the same logical character may have three distinct
      ways of being drawn, each one appropriate only for one of these locales,
      but represented by a single character in Unicode. Thus, you must know
      which locale-specific font to use for a given country.

      At present, Antenna House XSL Formatter provides support for the most
      scripts, including Thai and Arabic. RenderX's XEP is very close, lacking
      only Thai, I believe. XSL Formatter provides some Japanese-specific
      extensions needed for more formal Japanese composition.

      Cheers,

      Eliot
      --
      W. Eliot Kimber