basic-link with internal destination on same page

  • sforeman@epicor.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 12, 2004
      I have a document that makes extensive use of basic-link and page-
      number-citation for cross-references. The problem that I have is
      that it looks bad when the link and the destination are on the same
      page, because the page-number-citation returns the page number that
      the reader is on.

      Is there a technique that will allow me to check if the value
      returned by the page-number-citation is the same as the page number
      and display either "above" or "below" instead of the page number?

      For example, instead of:
      For more information, see XYZ Dialog Box (page 9).

      I'd like the output to contain:
      For more information, see XYZ Dialog Box (below).

      Regards,
      Severin
    • J.Pietschmann
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 12, 2004
        sforeman@... wrote:

        > I have a document that makes extensive use of basic-link and page-
        > number-citation for cross-references. The problem that I have is
        > that it looks bad when the link and the destination are on the same
        > page, because the page-number-citation returns the page number that
        > the reader is on.
        >
        > Is there a technique that will allow me to check if the value
        > returned by the page-number-citation is the same as the page number
        > and display either "above" or "below" instead of the page number?
        >
        > For example, instead of:
        > For more information, see XYZ Dialog Box (page 9).
        >
        > I'd like the output to contain:
        > For more information, see XYZ Dialog Box (below).

        No way in standard XSLFO. Recommended approaches are
        using a two-stage-approach or doing layout estimation
        in a stage before FO layout (usually XSLT). Neither
        is particularly attractive in general but may work fine
        for a narrow enough class of FO documents.

        J.Pietschmann