selecting data for running headers

  • Oosterbaan, Douglas S. (LNG-DAY)
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 28, 2004
      I need to select the content of an xml tag on one physically
      rendered page and use it in the running header on the next
      physically rendered page. I've tried several things but still
      haven't been able to find a way to do this. The <fo:marker>
      and <fo:retrieve-marker> allow me to select data on the same
      physically rendered page, but in my situation the data for the
      running header is on the previous page. Has anyone else run
      into a situation like this? Any ideas about how this can be done?

      Thank you.
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 28, 2004
        At 2004-06-28 10:38 -0400, Oosterbaan, Douglas S. (LNG-DAY) wrote:
        >The <fo:marker>
        >and <fo:retrieve-marker> allow me to select data on the same
        >physically rendered page, but in my situation the data for the
        >running header is on the previous page.

        The default for retrieve-marker is to look backwards to the start of the
        page-sequence ... not to just look on the one page.

        Check your property settings. If those look correct, then check whatever
        implementation of XSL-FO you are using that the implementation correctly
        implements the construct. What you are asking for is very straightforward.

        I hope this helps.

        ..................... Ken

        --
        Public training 3 days XSLT & 2 days XSL-FO: Phoenix,AZ 2004-08-23
      • douglasoosterbaan
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 30, 2004
          Thanks. I think my real challenge is knowing which instance of
          the element to use in the running header. This element may occur
          several times on a physically rendered page, however it is only
          the content corresponding to the last occurence of this element
          on a physical page that I need to put in the running header of
          the next page. I don't have a good way to determine which
          occurance of this element is that last one on a rendered
          page, so I don't know which one to set a marker on. If I set
          a different marker on all occurrences of this element, then I
          still don't know which marker to select for my running header.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
            douglasoosterbaan wrote:

            > Thanks. I think my real challenge is knowing which instance of
            > the element to use in the running header. This element may occur
            > several times on a physically rendered page, however it is only
            > the content corresponding to the last occurence of this element
            > on a physical page that I need to put in the running header of
            > the next page. I don't have a good way to determine which
            > occurance of this element is that last one on a rendered
            > page, so I don't know which one to set a marker on. If I set
            > a different marker on all occurrences of this element, then I
            > still don't know which marker to select for my running header.

            This is straight forward to achieve using markers. Simply place all occurences
            of the element into a fo:marker with the same class name. Then the retrieve
            marker in static content of the next page should look like:

            <fo:retrieve-marker retrieve-class-name="amarker"
            retrieve-boundary="page-sequence" retrieve-position="last-starting-within-page"/>

            The last element on the previous page will be selected. We use this technique
            for running page totals without problem.

            <snip/>

            Chris
          • douglasoosterbaan
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
              Thanks a lot for your help. I'll give this a try.

              --- In XSL-FO@yahoogroups.com, Chris Bowditch <bowditch_chris@h...>
              wrote:
              > douglasoosterbaan wrote:
              >
              > > Thanks. I think my real challenge is knowing which instance of
              > > the element to use in the running header. This element may occur
              > > several times on a physically rendered page, however it is only
              > > the content corresponding to the last occurence of this element
              > > on a physical page that I need to put in the running header of
              > > the next page. I don't have a good way to determine which
              > > occurance of this element is that last one on a rendered
              > > page, so I don't know which one to set a marker on. If I set
              > > a different marker on all occurrences of this element, then I
              > > still don't know which marker to select for my running header.
              >
              > This is straight forward to achieve using markers. Simply place all
              occurences
              > of the element into a fo:marker with the same class name. Then the
              retrieve
              > marker in static content of the next page should look like:
              >
              > <fo:retrieve-marker retrieve-class-name="amarker"
              > retrieve-boundary="page-sequence" retrieve-position="last-starting-
              within-page"/>

              > The last element on the previous page will be selected. We use this
              technique
              > for running page totals without problem.
              >
              > <snip/>
              >
              > Chris
            • Dave Pawson
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
                At 08:49 01/07/2004, Chris Bowditch wrote:

                >This is straight forward to achieve using markers. Simply place all
                >occurences
                >of the element into a fo:marker with the same class name. Then the retrieve
                >marker in static content of the next page should look like:
                >
                ><fo:retrieve-marker retrieve-class-name="amarker"
                >retrieve-boundary="page-sequence"
                >retrieve-position="last-starting-within-page"/>
                >
                >The last element on the previous page will be selected. We use this technique
                >for running page totals without problem.

                I'm not sure I understand this Chris?
                That sounds like the running total will be from the last page,
                not this one?
                Or is it the 'first item on page' (the carried forward sum?)

                regards DaveP
              • J.Pietschmann
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
                  Dave Pawson wrote:
                  > I'm not sure I understand this Chris?
                  > That sounds like the running total will be from the last page,
                  > not this one?

                  Look carefully:
                  >>retrieve-position="last-starting-within-page"/>

                  A marker is always selected from the current page or a page before,
                  never from a page after the current page.

                  The FO will roughly look like this:
                  table
                  item 10 marker=10
                  item 10 marker=20
                  item 5 marker=25
                  --- assume page break here ---
                  item 20 marker=45
                  The marker containing "25" is retrieved.

                  J.Pietschmann
                • Dave Pawson
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
                    At 18:05 01/07/2004, you wrote:

                    >Look carefully:
                    > >>retrieve-position="last-starting-within-page"/>
                    >
                    >A marker is always selected from the current page or a page before,
                    >never from a page after the current page.
                    >
                    >The FO will roughly look like this:
                    > table
                    > item 10 marker=10
                    > item 10 marker=20
                    > item 5 marker=25
                    > --- assume page break here ---
                    > item 20 marker=45
                    >The marker containing "25" is retrieved.

                    And that was my problem, the '25' marker is not 'within-page' Joerg?
                    Hence it must be the 'carried forward' figure,
                    rather than the 'total this page' figure.

                    regards DaveP
                  • J.Pietschmann
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 1, 2004
                      Dave Pawson wrote:

                      > At 18:05 01/07/2004, you wrote:
                      >

                      >>Look carefully:
                      >>
                      >>A marker is always selected from the current page or a page before,
                      >>never from a page after the current page.
                      >>
                      >>The FO will roughly look like this:
                      >> table
                      >> item 10 marker=10
                      >> item 10 marker=20
                      >> item 5 marker=25
                      >> --- assume page break here ---
                      >> item 20 marker=45
                      >>The marker containing "25" is retrieved.
                      >

                      > And that was my problem, the '25' marker is not 'within-page' Joerg?
                      > Hence it must be the 'carried forward' figure,
                      > rather than the 'total this page' figure.

                      Oh well, misunderstandings at large, sorry. I also misread "The
                      last element on the previous page will be selected." Of course, the
                      code would select the last marker from the current page if there
                      are matching markers there, not the previous page.
                      I meant the '25' is retrieved on the page where the table starts,
                      rather than the next page. If the value has to occur on the next page,
                      the marker generator has to shift them one table row ahead, and
                      retrival should use first-starting-within-page.

                      Sorry for the confusion.

                      J.Pietschmann