RE: [XSL-FO] Is it possible to make generated PDF files scrollabl e?

  • Ryan Graham
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2004
      This is an interesting problem that I have had to deal with in the past.
      While I don't believe there is any way to make something scrollable in a PDF
      document, you may be able to render the table to a landscape page
      orientation to get more "real estate". If your situation does not lend
      itself to this solution, as mine didn't, you may have to go down the path
      that you mentioned below. I use various conditionals in my table-generation
      templates to shrink the font-size based on the number of columns in a table.
      This is not always perfect, but it gives good results 95% of the time. In
      addition to changing the font-size, I use a named template to calculate the
      average number of characters across all the entries in a column, and then
      plug that value into proportional-column-width() to get dynamically
      configured widths of the columns in any table. These two techniques
      combined produce beautiful looking tables 95% of the time. The other 5% of
      the time, I have to manually tweak the FO to get the exact look I want, but
      the time spent tweaking is obviously dramatically reduced.

      I hope you find some of this useful (i.e. hopefully you can apply some of
      this to your particular situation), and best of luck...

      -RG